Chapter 38: Let Go

Chapter 38: Let Go

I was back in the apothecary that afternoon. Habang paakyat sa aking kwarto, pinahid ko ang mukha ko. I rehearsed a smile, a weak one, not letting the earlier tears showed up on my face.

Wala akong ibang dala pagbalik kundi ang brown paper bag na may lamang pastries mula kay Alexander. Tahimik ko itong pinagmasdan habang naglalakad sa hallway. Despite the incident in downtown, it was such a nice coincidence that he bought my favorite treat.

Wala pa akong ilang minutong nakakapasok sa kwarto when Anabeth came barging in. She sashayed in her usual cheery self from the front door to the nearby desk chair.

"So how was the trip?" she inquired. Naglaho bigla ang ngiti niya nang makita ang mukha ko. Her face scrunched, nose wrinkling as she stared  at me. "Did you cry?"

Umiling ako. "It was just... windy outside..." pagdadahilan ko. Hindi naalis ang pangamba sa kanyang mukha. I wasn't sure if she believed my reason.

"What did you buy?"

Pinagmasdan niya ang kwarto for any new items but there was none. "Some of the stores were close..." Pinakita ko sa kanya ang pastry.  "But I got this."

We shared the pastry while I sat on the bed and she made herself comfortable in the chair. Habang kumakain, hindi ko napigilang itanong ang bagay na bumabagabag sa'kin.

"Anabeth..." I started. "What's Rebecca like?"

Napaubo siya, halos mabulunan sa bigla kong tanong. Agad niyang inabot ang baso ng tubig mula sa kalapit na mesa. "Eleanor naman," reklamo niya.

I bit my lower lip, wondering if was right to ask about it. "I was just... hoping that Zackary have someone good on his side."

Bumuntong hininga si Anabeth at sumandal sa silya. "Are you sure it's okay for you?"

Tumango ako.

Binaba ni Anabeth ang lahat ng hawak at sandaling nanahimik, tila pinagiisipan kung tama bang sagutin ang tanong ko. After a moment, another sigh escape her lips.

"I'm not sure if I'm the right person to answer your question," she muttered. "Rebecca's an elite kaya ilang bagay lang ang alam ko  sa kanya, lalo na at pribado at may pagka-traditional ang pamilya niya."

"The Mavens are basically one of the oldest families in Van Zanth. They go way back to the year the town was established and contributed a  huge part of the town's growth because of their membership to the council. Currently, it's Rebecca's grandfather who holds a position in the council."

Council...

The hair on my arms shoot up at the mere mention of the word. Napakalaking bagay na may koneksyon sa council ang mga pinuno ng mga bayan tulad ng Van Zanth.

"But since Rebecca is the only grandchild of the Sir and the remaining heiress of the family, no one would take the position if ever the Sir leaves the council."

Anabeth cast a worried glance at my direction before continuing.

"That was why the residence of Van Zanth were elated when the news broke a year before you came here... that Rebecca is Sir Zackary's mate."

Now I understand... the hatred of the people was clear to me now. Zackary was destined for something big with Rebecca on her side... something that would benefit the entire town of Van Zanth... and they see me as a threat to it.

Muling bumaling sa'kin si Anabeth, unsure if to continue. Pero siguro nga ramdam niya din na kailangan ko itong marinig... I needed reasons, anything that could make this emotions inside of me fade... to make  this ache for Zackary stop.