Chapter 3

Zabuza had expected to be late but found his teammates waiting for their Kage to see them. None of them minded much as it gave them more time to consider exactly how they would deliver their report. Despite everything that had occurred the Mizukage seemed to be in a good mood– or, more specifically, in a mood to not kill anyone– and simply listened to each detail they gave with stoic interest.

When his teammates had given every piece of information they could offer, the Mizukage turned his icy gaze on the youngest Anbu agent. Zabuza had little more to offer about the destruction of Konoha. He stopped talking when the Mizukage's face shifted into a frown and he laced his fingers together.

"So... the mission was a failure."

None of the Anbu spoke up, nor did they dare to glance at one another.

"Konoha in shambles, their Nine-Tails on the loose..." The Kage mused aloud. "They are vulnerable. This is to our advantage." The corners of his mouth curved in a frown. "Though, you all failed to eliminate your target."

The Kage waved his hand and turned his gaze to the scrolls that lie on his desk.

"You might be interested in hearing what our spies have heard." He looked up at them. "That the Yellow Flash of Konoha is dead."

"Dead?" One agent muttered.

"How?"

"How indeed." The Mizukage leaned back in the chair. "I had hoped one of you might be able to answer that question, but it seems my faith in your abilities was misplaced."

There was a moment of silence and Zabuza saw his comrades' expressions from his peripheral. They were all from the lowest caste, descended of traitors and subjugated families of annexed territories in wars past. Considering the high-profile nature of their target, and their own low status, it was easy to figure that they had been sent out without the intention of returning. The fact that there were five remaining from the team of nine was not something the Mizukage had been expecting. But, Zabuza thought, none of the events of the past day had been as planned.

"No matter. I suspect that the great Yellow Flash wasn't up to the task of restraining the Nine-Tails. It would have been good for the Mist to have claim to his death, but there are many benefits to reap with his demise regardless. What matters now is how we use this to our advantage."

"It was me." Zabuza spoke up. He had intended to sound more confident but the syllables came out in a grumble.

"What was that?" The Mizukage cocked his brow and looked at the teen. "You have more to say?"

The older Anbu followed his gaze, and Zabuza could feel their stares burning into him. The Mizukage had been in a good mood, and, Zabuza knew, they were all tense at the prospect of whatever the teen was about to say next would sour the Kage's disposition. But Zabuza had no reason to care how they felt at that particular moment, so he dared to take a stand from his kneel in line and step forward.

"It was me. I was the one who ended the Fourth Hokage."

The tension in the air was palpable and brought a metallic taste to his mouth. He ignored the wide eyes of his comrades, only focused on watching the Mizukage's expression carefully as he remained standing tall- but very still.

"I admire your bloodlust, Zabuza, and it would be good for Kirigakure if one of our own had killed him, but you cannot claim a kill that you did not make. No one would believe someone like you was responsible for bringing down such a foe, nor-"

Zabuza growled, slamming his hand down on the Kage's death with the tattered, bloody cloth in his hand. "I. Killed. The Yellow Flash."

"The Fourth Hokage's cloak." One agent muttered in disbelief.