Chapter 49 (Sköll)

Start from the beginning

"Um, okay...yo give me my powers" I rolled my eyes and looked at him pointedly after. He sipped his whiskey. His calmness pisses me off for whatever reason. "I won't coddle you. Act right or get out" he sounded like my damn father for a minute there. I sighed.

"I don't know how to ask or who to ask. Is it the Moon Goddess?" I was genuinely confused. He scratched his chin and thought about it.

"You know, I don't know who we serve. If it is the Moon Goddess it's for a darker purpose" he told me honestly. That gave me pause.

"Are we, like, evil or something?" That's the vibe I was getting here. "There is a balance to life and especially to nature. I suppose we are just the necessary counterpart" he shrugged. "Like the dark side of the moon?"

"Don't be cliche" he picked a piece of lint off of my entirely destroyed button down shirt that had dirt marks all over it, and missing buttons, and flicked the lint off like that was the problem. "I wasn't trying to be cliche- forget it. Well, You win Saxon...I wanna learn" I admitted to him. This may prove to be a bad idea because Saxon is not to be trusted, nor do I believe his intentions, but if he thinks I am a Mystic I wanna know.

I wanna know who my family came from. I looked down at my silver band around my wrist and touched it. It has Hati and Sköll written on opposite sides. The only thing I have of my brother.

"When you learn bone reading you can call on him for guidance you know" Saxon's grey eyes were set on the bracelet I was touching. "How do you know about my brother-" I didn't bother asking. Saxon appears to know everything.

"Will you tell me a little bit about Dark Mystics' capabilities? Just a little preview" I asked him, then added, "I'm not telling anyone about this, so this stays with us." He seemed somewhat surprised, but nodded.

"We can manipulate our detection, or rather, so we aren't detected. Wiping our scents clean and any trace of us...and we work with shadows, that's a whole other list of things. Let's see...we can dream travel" he smirked about the last one.

"What does that mean?" I was so damn curious about this. Curious enough to have a normal conversation with Saxon Shadow. If he is the only person who can teach me then I'll work with him.

"We can enter and manipulate people's dreams. Talk with them or ask them questions we wanna know. When the mind is resting it's easier to dig into someone's subconscious. It's quite fun, unethical, but fun" he grinned, and a smile looked odd on a brooding face like his.

"There is more but you'll learn in time" he stood up. With his long finger he tapped his watch to insinuate that it was late and then he left. He's a weird dude.

It's when I was completely alone that I thought about what Saxon said in the beginning. He said 'did you try asking' as though that's all I need for my powers to activate. I thought of Raine's offering to the Moon Goddess earlier and that little private speech she made. I was going to build off that as my example and try.

"To whatever force that rules over the Dark Mystics I'm asking you for my power. Who am I? What am I capable of?" I asked out loud while looking at the ceiling as though it were the sky. When nothing came of it I felt like a moron for talking to nothing and no one. This is crazy. All of it.

Then something dawned on me. The Mystic kids go to the Sacred Circle to meditate, ask questions to the Moon Goddess, and better concentrate their gifts. I looked at the time and the sun wouldn't be up for a while longer...so if I went now?

I jumped to my feet and in my scuffed clothes, blood of another being one of the stains, and bruised knuckles I went to the Sacred Circle after being the least sacred human being tonight. Can't hurt right?