Basketball | Chpt 32

Start from the beginning

A figure sat directly across from me and I looked up immediately to Kirishima. It seemed like he was always there. 

"Hey."

"Hi Kirishima," I said, eyes falling back to look at my cup. My finger had slowed in stirring the ice around my drink, feet sliding subtly underneath my chair so that I might not brush feet with Kirishima. 

"How are you?" he asked.

"Tired. I was running a lot," I stated. Understatement of the century. 

"Me too. You did good," he pointed out. 

"I wonder what that says about my character, that I'm good at handling a weapon like that."

"I don't think it's that deep," he shrugged. "Did Bakugo talk to you?"

My mouth turned downwards at the corners and I ran my tongue over the bottom of my top teeth. I only nodded in response, pulling the cup in towards me to hold it with both hands. I shifted to get a view of Kirishima.

"I hope he didn't freak you out," Kirishima stated, "I don't know why he...feels so intensely."

"It's fine," I said, clearing my throat when it didn't come out right. 

"It's...really not a big deal to--uh--be avoiding me," Kirishima said. "I know I come on strong sometimes, clearly Bakugo does too." 

I listen to Kirishima let out a breathy chuckle.

"If you need to be alone or anything, you can just let me know," he said, "you don't have to, like, skirt around me."

"It's, uh, not that," I replied. "You shouldn't feel bad about being expressive."

"Then what's up?" he asked. This was my chance to actually tell the truth. Bakugo wasn't here though and it felt too inappropriate of a time to mention anything. I didn't want to be so closed off either.

"I...kind of walked in on you and Bakugo...kissing? I didn't mean to I just...did," I said, averting my eyes and placing my forehead against my fist. I lowered my voice, but not so low that Kirishima couldn't hear me. "I'm sorry, I just...felt bad for intruding. I didn't want to say anything or--yeah. I just started avoiding you guys because I feel like I butt into your business, even though it was an accident. It's...stupid."

That was partly the truth, I did feel like I was intruding in on Bakugo and Kirishima's relationship. It wasn't exactly the way I described it to Kirishima, but at least I wasn't lying or 'avoiding' him anymore. It felt...shitty to have Bakugo disappointed in me...in his own way. I peeked up at Kirishima who was watching me silently, eyes soft with a slight smile on his face. 

"What?" I asked. Kirishima raised his eyebrows in response, sitting up a little taller. He just shook his head, letting out a soft 'hah'.

"Nothing," he said, shaking his head. "Uhm...obviously you have but could you keep that to yourself? We're like...barely anything at this point. We've got other stuff to deal with first."

"Uhm, yeah of course," I agreed. "Sorry again."

"It was an accident. Besides, it was in the middle of the hall."

"Middle of the night."

"I guess we're lucky it was you, you know? Not Mina or Kaminari. I love them, but they're a little crazy about this stuff," Kirishima said. I watched his fingers tug at the bottom hairs near his neck as he spoke. 

"Yeah."

"Besides," I listened to Kirisima take in and let out a big breath as his mouth grew into a smile. I sat up a little straighter as I listened, admiring Kirishima for a moment. "I don't really mind you knowing."