CHAPTER 001

Your father was a simple man, your mother even simpler. You were a wanderer, venturing around in hopes of finding more than what you bargained for. For a purpose, a reason to live. Finding a reason to settle down was not at all out of question either.

Every spring you visited Kattegat with your goods for the market. You offered help around the place as well as to visit your friend Ragnar and his family. You were young, 17 at that but you came by every spring with no delay. You were a part of the season at that point, you were expected. Some people at the market even prepared for your arrival. You came with your friend, the two of you wandered on your own but always met again in spring to visit Kattegat. He was a better friend of Ragnars but you were just as welcomed.

They called you the bear for you always wore layers of fur and clothing, covering you head to toe, making you look like an animal. As the smoke from the houses came into view once more you breathed a sigh of relief. Staring down at the beautiful place you missed in the cold winters. Your friend Bjarne tumbled through the grass, the heavy sack he was carrying pulling him in directions he did not mean to go. You only laughed, helping him stand up right.

"You smell that?" You asked.

"Pig shit?"

You smacked his arm as you took another deep breath, "that's the smell of Kattegat."

"I was correct afterall," he said, giving you a smile while passing you. You gave him a mocking glare before following him down towards the city. The moment you two bear shaped humans came walking by people recognized you both immediately. As Bjarne went straight for the market you turned to the hall in order to visit.

You had made friends with the family after being such an expected member. You grew the closest with Ivar, the youngest of the brothers. He liked you so much for you did not pity him like the others, spoke to him differently. Before you even reached the hall you caught sight of Ivar dragging himself over, Ubbe following behind him.

"Y/n!" Ubbe called gleefully, you sat down your sack to give him a proper hug before getting down low enough to hug Ivar, patting his back slightly.

"I missed you guys," you said, smiling at the both of them.

"You should visit more often," Ivar said, a weak but happy smile planted on his face.

"I will consider that," you said, standing up to grab your sack again. "Is Ragnar away?" You asked. Ubbe shook his head.

"Good I wanted to speak to hi—" you were cut off by Bjarne wrapping his arm around your shoulders harshly.

"There you are, thought I lost you," he said laughing a bit. Ubbes eyes widened with glee as he gave Bjarne a hug, they were always good friends. You noticed the way Ivar frowned, he did not like Bjarne or at least that's what you assumed since he never seemed too happy around his company. Him and Ubbe went along inside the hall as you followed behind them with Ivar.

────────────

"My friends," Ragnar said, opening his arms as he went over to the both of you. He seemed more sickly than usual but you chose not to say anything.

"Ragnar," you said, hugging him as well, sharing harsh pats.

"Just on time," he grinned, his eyes widening like a mad man as he turned back to Aslaug who sat in her seat. She seemed happy, giving you nothing more than a smile. You had a fairly neutral relationship with her, nothing bad but nothing too close.

────────────

That evening was shared in celebration of you and Bjarnes return. You drank ale and ate until you felt like throwing up. Ivar sat beside you the whole night. you told him of your travels, of the new places you discovered and the adventures you found yourself in. He listened with a faint smile and interest in his eyes. He enjoyed your stories for you had many each spring.

"And you? What have you discovered while I was away?" You asked, setting your horn down. Your eyes started to go fuzzy so you decided that was enough for now. Bjarne was however busy with thralls, hardly in the right mind to understand what was going on. You left him to his insanity, he'd regret it in the morning.

"Nothing," he said dryly, you could feel his disappointment. You wished you'd be able to bring him along but you were not sure if his legs would allow him to go on such travels. He could not climb nor could he go on for as long as you could, dragging himself alone. You did not doubt his abilities but you knew there were limits to them.

"One day you shall have more stories than I," you said, smiling at him. He returned the smile, though it was less bright as yours. He seemed to doubt you, doubt your words.

"Until then I'll enjoy listening to yours," he said, lifting his horn. You lifted yours which was empty and clunkled it on his.

────────────

The morning after you found amusement in the way Bjarne grabbed his head in pain, stumbling around like a blind man.

"Had fun?" You asked.

"Shut it," he muttered, sitting down at a table. You were packing your gear while laughing at him. You could hear Ivars drags and lifted your gaze to meet his. He seemed upset to see you leave for you only stayed for a day in Kattegat. The longest you stayed was a week and that was your second time visiting, the times where you traveled with your uncle. You had broke your leg so there was no way you'd be able to go for a while. That was when you grew close with Ivar.

"You cannot stay?" He asked, the sweetness in his voice almost made you melt.

"I could but the world is waiting for me Ivar, I want you to see it, I truly do," you said, your eyes flicked to his legs by accident, he caught it.

"But I am a cripple."

"Ivar, one day you will come with me, I promise," you said, lowering yourself to hug him.

"Until then I will see you once a spring, and that is all?"

"For now, I'm certain the gods have other things in store for us," you smiled sweetly. He only nodded, obviously bothered by how you seemed all too happy to leave Kattegat again. It was not that you were happy it was that you knew you'd see him again. It was fate.

Fate however did not prepare you for this.