After the storm - Nomin

Jeno and Jaemin had been close since they were born. Their mothers were friends and happened to get pregnant around the same time, and they were born only a few months apart. They grew up inseparable. But not all stories have a fairytale ending.

It was fine at first, only a few small arguments here and there, but the fights eventually got bigger and were about smaller things. They began to spend less and less time with each other and spent more time with their other friends. The path each boy chose to follow pulled them farther and farther apart.

Jeno managed to befriend some of the most popular kids at school and with it he adopted the bully behavior. His friendly aura had disappeared.

Jaemin stayed away from the spotlight. He found security with the kids who stayed under everyone's radar. But no matter what happened he always stayed kind.

They became invisible to each other. You would have never guessed they were once best friends. The memories of their past disappeared the day they walked out of each other's lives and they never spoke to each other again.

But that was about to change. Their city would fall and with it, the chance to salvage their friendship would rise.

Are they capable of coming together in order to survive? Or will their friendship and themselves be gone forever?

...

They were 14 when they said their final goodbyes. That was the last time they spoke to each other. Today, they are 18 and just graduated highschool.

The sun was shining bright and the rain was falling softly. For the pessimistic population, people like Jeno, they saw the rain as a bad omen for what's to come. But for Jaemin he saw the rain as a sign of growth. You can't have the sun without the rain.

The rain only got worse during the next few days. Families were forced to stay inside and were advised to leave only when absolutely necessary. There were no signs of the weather clearing and so no chances could be taken. It was almost supernatural. No one had an answer that could explain the irregular weather pattern. Not even scientists.

...

Jaemin lived with his mom. He didn't have any siblings and his dad left when he was young. He didn't mind. His mother had always been there for him and she was all he needed. He spent the rainy days spending time with his mom. They cooked together, played games, and talked. It was peaceful.

Jeno lived with his friends. He left home when he and Jaemin stopped being friends. His family blamed him for the awkward tension between the Lee's and the Na's. They had always liked Jaemin, a little more than their own son it seemed. He spent the rainy days eating junk food and hanging with the boys. It was chaotic.

...

One morning while Jaemin was sleeping he heard a deafening siren. With it came a bone chilling message.

"Residents of Kwangya, you must evacuate.

The storm has worsened and is heading in your

direction. Take only what you can carry. Head

for the mountains, there are storm shelters there

for you to use. Stay cautious. This will not be an

easy task. Stay in groups. We wish you luck."

Jaemin's body was overwhelmed with goosebumps as he rushed to pack what was important. He was afraid. His mother was old and wouldn't be able to make this trip easily, even without the weather. He filled a backpack with clothes, water, food, a flashlight, and other survival necessities. The roads had begun to flood, making travel by car impossible. They would have to walk up the mountain if they wanted to survive.