prologue

CHAPTER 0:
prologue

( September / October 1978 )

September 78'

    Dear Regulus Black,

    Is there something tugging at the strings beneath your ribs and into your heart that causes such a sad look on your face? Or is that just something you were born with?

    I can't help but feel as though that was rude, so if you're offended, I'm sorry. But it's just a shame. You have such pleasant features that you were born with and I can't recall the last time I saw a smile on your face. I'm always here if you'd like to confide in me for with the woe that presumably overwhelms your heart. If not then I completely understand. You don't exactly take me as the verbal type anyway.

With much love, Libillule Dupont.

ONE MONTH LATER

October 78'

To Libillule,

You match your name's English translation very well to describe you because dragonflies, while they do have pure and beautiful fluorescent appearances, are a nuisance to man-kind and need to become extinct.

You would be correct about me not wishing to speak to you about the face I wear every day. There is nothing going on that concerns you. And if there was something by some brilliant surprise, you would be the last to know as we are nowhere near being friends, we are barely even aquatinted. Don't write to me again about opening up to you.

R.A.B.

FOUR HOURS LATER

October 78'

Dear Regulus,

You think I'm pretty?

If I do recall correctly from reading your letter, you said, getting passed the nuisance and extinction bit, that dragonflies have pure and beautiful appearances when comparing me to them. So, dare I say, does Regulus Black think that I, Libillule Dupont, is beautiful?

Feeling pure and beautiful, the dragonfly.

ONE DAY LATER

October 78'

Papillon Irritant,

Don't ever repeat that to anyone. I wasn't complimenting you, so don't even try to egg it on that way. I was simply stating I wish for you to become extinct already so these letters would cease.

Don't write again.

R.A.B.

TWO HOURS LATER

October 78'

To the boy who called me pretty,

I understand if you're smitten about complimenting me even if it was by accident. But your accident had the chance to be fixed if you read over your letter, which I assume you do, so it seems as though you didn't care if I caught it.

But, if it helps you sleep at night to heal your embarrassment, then I think you're pretty too.

Ton Papillon Irritant.

NOTE. Libby and Reg <3
anyways🧍🏽‍♀️so i wanted to incorporate reg's french speaking since it isn't mentioned too much in my other books so here we have him speaking french thinking she wont understand because he doesnt know she speaks it fluently as a first language

ALSO this book isnt going to be all letters. im still deciding how much i wanna incorporate the letter aspect of it but so far its 99% all action and 1% letters

BUT if this is appreciated then the letters could become a bigger part in the story for them to communicate sooo just lmk what you think