An Interview

Over the last few months, rumors about the relationship between former One Direction popstar turned solo rockstar Harry Styles and amateur tattoo artist Gwen Kobayashi have spread like wildfire.

It all began with an anonymous leak of intimate pictures of the couple just before Styles' world tour in March. Fans of Styles had been speculating whether the two's friendship was actually a cover up for their secret romantic involvement, but nothing was confirmed until the images were leaked. Since then, the Internet has been a whirlwind of speculation, rumors, and theorizing. Was this all one big PR stunt? How long had the couple been together? What were they like together? Where are they now? Luckily, PEOPLE was given the exclusive opportunity to sit down with a source that was close to the couple who was willing to answer some of the questions that Styles' fans have been dying to know. For legal reasons, the source will remain anonymous.

On a Thursday afternoon, we sat down at a trendy coffee shop in Hollywood, apparently one frequented by Styles and Kobayashi when they met up in secret. "Well, it used to be. I'm not quite so sure anymore," the source said.

"So, what can you tell us?"

The source coyly played with the spoon in their coffee mug. "What would you like to know?"

"Everything, but I'll start with the obvious: was it real or just one big PR stunt?"

"Real. Definitely real."

"And the pictures? Those were real too? Who leaked them?"

At this, the source merely nodded, but did not answer any other questions about the scandal regarding leaked photos of Styles' long term, long hidden girlfriend, Gwen Kobayashi, a tattoo artist from San Diego, California. These pictures were the first hint that Styles was apparently off the market, upsetting fans of the singer across the globe. The personal photos involving both Styles and Kobayashi sans clothes and sharing what could only be described as intimate moments together nearly set the Internet on fire. Even months after the leak, no one knows who's responsible for releasing the images online.

"Alright, what were they like when they were together? Who knew?"

"They were...explosive. When they fought, they fought hard, but when they loved, they loved harder. Sometimes it was hard to tell which was which, but they definitely loved each other."

"Loved?"

"Harry went to see her towards the end of the tour. He canceled a couple of shows because of it," the source said. They looked hesitant to say more, but ultimately continued. "When he came back, he was different. We would always hear him in his dressing room, talking to her, fighting with her, but after that, it was quiet. He never talked about her again."

The source is obviously referring to the last leg of Live on Tour, Styles' world tour promoting his debut self–titled album. Three shows were canceled without much explanation, leaving fans of Styles angry and confused. Styles has since returned to the locations of the canceled tour dates and performed the shows after what was supposed to be Live On Tour's finale.

"You say 'everyone' heard him. Who does that refer to?"

"His team, everyone he was touring with. Some of his closer friends knew before that, but when they were backstage together, they didn't hide it as much. They would hold hands or he would watch the opening act with her, sometimes they would spend time together alone in his dressing room. It wasn't hard to put two and two together, even if you didn't know either of them well.

"Was there a specific moment when you or anyone else knew?"

"I mean, I always had my suspicions, but it wasn't until she started showing up on tour that some of us started to really suspect something. We all knew they were good friends, but we didn't know something was going on between them until way into their relationship. I'm not even sure when it started, to be honest. It was like one day she didn't exist, and the next she was suddenly there."