Chapter 6

Eduardo had told her at the beginning of her shift that Javier would be stopping in later, it was his subtle way of telling her to look her best and spend extra time on her appearance, as if her looks played some part in their business transactions. Regardless of what Eduardo's hidden implications were, Karina was excited to see him.

It was a good sign that Manuel was with him, usually if he accompanied Javier they would stay for drinks. Karina wondered if he would welcome her company considering they hadn't ended on the best terms the last time they were together. A torturing thought crossed her mind, what if he didn't want to spend any more time with her? What if he had no desire to speak to her again or worse yet, what if there was someone else in there that he wanted to spend his time with instead of her? There was a new girl that Eduardo had just hired, her name was Carmen and she was pretty, she was lighter skinned than Karina with hazel eyes and caramel colored hair, the thought of her being tossed aside for another girl made her physically sick to her stomach.

Like every time he came in, Karina had to fight the urge to go up and greet him. She knew that he and Manuel had to conduct business first; her eyes followed them all the way up to Eduardo's office to see if any other girl caught his attention. Much to her relief none of them did, it appeared that he was too focused on keeping up with the other two, he was already drunk.

Karina was conveniently on stage when Manuel and Javier came out of the office. Javier didn't even acknowledge her presence at all and walked straight to the bar, she wondered if it was a coincidence that he happened to order his drinks right next to Carmen. The sick feeling returned in her stomach as she saw Javier lean in and whisper in the girl's ear, he called to the bartender and he poured her a drink. Karina was so absorbed in watching the exchange at the bar that she didn't even realize she had a customer waiting on her by the stage. She watched the new girl and her lover clink their glasses, she couldn't take it anymore she turned around and walked towards the customer whom was waiting patiently.

"Manuel?" Karina asked as she crotched down in front of him.

"Hi sexy how are you?" Manuel asked innocently. Karina was unsure how to react to this situation. In the past Manuel had barely so much as looked at her before out of respect for his colleague let alone ever expected a dance from her, maybe now since Javier was done with her she was considered fair game.

"What are you doing?" Karina asked.

"I want to see you shake that fat ass for me!" Manuel gloated waving a hundred dollar bill in the air. Karina was speechless. The corners of his mouth twitched and he finally busted out laughing. "Wow I don't think I've ever seen you make that face before, that was definitely worth the hundred dollars," Manuel handed her the money, all she could do was take it since she was still at a loss for words. "Sorry I thought I would be unoriginal and say what every other man says when they come up to tip you." He continued, she was still clueless as to what was going on. She watched out of the corner of her eye as Carmen followed Javier to a table in the back half of the room.

"Did you seriously come up here to mock me?" Karina asked. The smile disappeared from Manuel's face.

"No, not at all, that's from Javi," Manuel said defensively. Karina glanced over at Javier whom was focused more on his drink than anything else including her, including Carmen.

"He sent you up here?" Karina asked.

"Well, not exactly," Manuel began, he was taunting her, he had to be, why else was he beating around the bush?

"What's going on?" Karina demanded annoyed. Javier caught her eye, he was staring at them intently.

"He's had a really rough day, he could use some of your company," Manuel explained. Karina wasn't convinced.

"He said that or you did?"

"Well he didn't come out and say it," Manuel began.

"If that's the case then what is she doing over there?" Karina asked nodding at her competition that was lighting up a cigarette.

"Aww come on Karina, you've been around long enough to know he's a master manipulator, and I need all the help I can get with the ladies. Shit, I mean you wouldn't even shake your ass for me for a hundred dollar bill," Manuel said in a huff, he got up from the stage and joined the others at the table before she could argue. The walk from the stage to the table seemed to be miles long. Javier's gaze was intense, his face expressionless. He patted his leg invitingly and she couldn't help but smile. She plopped down in his lap and he pulled her close to him, she could feel his heart slamming in his chest. He smelled of marijuana and his soap.

"Are you happy to see me?" She asked. He didn't respond, but tightened his grip around her. "You aren't still angry with me?"

"Are you thirsty, I'm empty," he slurred he reached around her and shook his ice for emphasis.

"Don't worry I have more coming," Manuel's muffled voice stated from Carmen's chest.

"Slow night?" Javier observed.

"It was busy earlier."

"Am I keeping you from something important?"

"Nothing could be more important than this." Javier smiled, it didn't happen very often but when he did she cherished that moment. It was like a phenomenon, it happened so infrequently she had almost forgotten how attractive he looked when he did it. The waitress brought the drinks over and his face returned to its normal stone cold look.

"How was your day?" Karina asked after they had finished their drinks. Javier shook his head and looked away.

"Rough day at the office," he slurred.

"I can tell you've had a few drinks," Karina agreed.

"I finished a bottle before I ever got here," he admitted. "You should come home with me and help me forget about today."

"I think that could be arranged," Karina stated doing a poor job in hiding her excitement.

"Well go put some clothes on and come with me, Eduardo will never notice you're gone," Javier slurred.

"You're going to drive?" Karina asked concerned about how they would get there, he could barely walk.

"How else would we?"

"I'll drive."

"No one drives my Rover."

"Well, that's not true, there was that one time...." Manuel began. Javier held up his hand to silence him.

"No one asked for your opinion you and big boobs can take a taxi anyways, I'm not chauffeuring you around anymore tonight," Javier snapped. He tossed Manuel some money.

"Are you sure it's a good idea for you to drive?" Karina asked.

"Just because my mom is dead doesn't mean I need you to fill her spot, plus that would be creepy considering all the dirty shit I do to you. Are you coming with me or staying here and rubbing your tits on these slum lords in here?" Javier asked. Karina said nothing, but hurried to go change, she wished she could hang out one time with him without her feeling degraded, but she knew there was no chance of that.

Javier couldn't believe that he still hadn't heard from Ricky yet, he wasn't sure if that was good or bad. If Hector had never showed up at Ricky's house, he would have called Javier's phone by now. Maybe his boss just didn't care, or maybe he finally agreed with Javier.