Chapter 26 : Los Angeles

Start from the beginning

You two had spent so much time trying to go unnoticed as a couple that having someone tell you to be quiet had immediately scared you. You'd been caught.

Then as you both comprehended the fact that you hadn't been called out for an affair, just for laughing too loud during a movie, you both physically and mentally relaxed.

The realization just made the smiles form on both of your faces again, silent laughs leaving your body.

For the first time since knowing Charlie, he put an arm around your shoulders and pulled you close to his side, pressing a kiss to the top of your head. And for the first time, you leaned into his touch and whispered, "I love you," all while in a public setting.

This was how it should've been your entire relationship: Happy and carefree, the two of you feeling alone with each other in a crowded room.

A few hours later, when the movie was finished, the two of you were sitting across from each other at the restaurant that Charlie picked out. It was nice. Not too fancy, but it wasn't cliche or trying too hard, which had been his only requirement when deciding on one.

You were in a booth towards the back, something else that Charlie specifically requested for the two of you.

"Red or white?" Charlie asked you, flipping over the drink menu to see the wine list.

You shrugged, thinking about it. You realized that you didn't exactly have an opinion on wine. You usually just got whatever bottle looked pretty and was under twenty dollars. "You pick."

Charlie looked at you disapprovingly. "Red or white?" He repeated.

You chuckled softly, thinking about it. "Red, I guess?" You decided, unsure. "Seems more romantic, I think."

He stared at you for a moment with an expression that was hard to read. Affection, amusement, and slightly reflective. "It is, isn't it? I never considered it." He murmured to himself as the waiter made his way to the table.

Charlie ordered a bottle for the table, a moderate to higher-end priced red wine. He couldn't remember the last time he went to a restaurant and felt the desire to impress his date. He didn't think he'd gone on a date with Nicole in years before he met you, besides a forced double date with another couple.

"Thanks," You told him, trying your best not to glance at the price. You felt guilty that he was spending any money on you at all, considering his current situation.

Charlie smiled at that, touched that you were grateful. "You don't need to thank me, angel." He hummed, reaching a hand across the table to hold yours gently.

Butterflies spread throughout your body as you watched the way that he continued to run his thumb over the back of your hand while his eyes scanned his menu.

The lights in the restaurant were dim, with candles lit at each table to allow you to see what you were ordering and eating. Charlie was wearing one of your favorite shirts of his, a pale blue colored button-down. He even attempted to tame his slightly shaggy hair and put on a spray or two of cologne.

He was so handsome and he was yours.

You glanced around the room, seeing if anyone else noticed how gorgeous your boyfriend was and if they were as jealous of you as you would've been of them if the shoes were on the other foot.

When the waiter returned to the table with the wine, he uncorked the bottle and picked up one of the glasses. He poured a tiny bit into the cup and attempted to hand it to Charlie.

Charlie gave him a small chuckle and shook his head, motioning towards you. "That's up to her." He explained. Even though he wanted to enjoy it, ultimately, he wanted you to like it.