Soaring Again

The three left standing in her wake were struck mute. Rabbit Who Plays Flute looked at Cloud Chief. Cloud Chief looked at Red Arrows. Then they all turned to stare at the frozen Chief Soaring Hawk.

"Was that...?" Rabbit started to ask but stopped when Chief Cloud touched his arm and nodded his head. Red Arrows, as shaken as Soaring Hawk, looked lost.

Cloud Chief turned quickly to Chief Fights Like Bear.

"Before we retire to the lodge, allow me to take you to see our tribes greatest treasure. A young white buffalo was found near his dead mother and I have been raising it."

"Truely? Your band is lucky indeed! I would very much like to see a white buffalo. A gift from the Great Spirit."

Cloud Chief turned to Soaring Hawk. He touched his arm and his support drew the man out if his shock somewhat.

" Of course Brother. Show our guest around for a bit. The armoury as well. I want him to see what we can bring to our alliance. We are a strong and formidible force willing to help."

The two Chiefs nodded and Cloud Chief led  Fights Like Bear away.

Soaring Hawk turned questioning eyes to Red Arrows, reaching out and taking her by the bicepts.

" Am I mad? Did I just see ...?"

"Ming."

"Buy us some time. Find Fire Walking Woman...she must know, as well as Running Deer. I will... I will..."

"Go. Greet your woman."

                     ******

Fights Like Bear walked companionably next to Cloud Chief. He was immpressed by the younger man. His skill and bravery at such an age was exemplary. Saving a band of remnants and bringing them to join with Soaring Hawk was no small feat. He decided to speak openly.

"Winter Owl is my niece. Her parents were killed by soldiers and we raised as our own. I have known of her visions for all of her life. I know why she has sought your brother out. I saw you recognize her immediately."

"She spoke truth. My brother has waited many lifetimes to find her again. Their love was deep and cut viciously short by evil people. She was a fearless and great General back then. I have no doubt she still is. I thank you for allowing this meeting."

"Now show me this wondrous calf. Let us offer a blessing while we wait."

                      ******

Soaring Hawk and Winter Owl stood before one another. He was still dazed and he approached her cautiously, as if she were a priceless artifact or a wraith that could disappear with the slightest gust of wind. Tears tracked both their faces and he found the strength finally to reach out and wrap arms around her. Alone now, and secluded, he could feel her began to tremble and a pair of strong arms entwined around his waist. All was silent in the teepee, because how could one speak, using trivial words after so many hundreds of years? All that needed to be said was spoken with hearts and tears and they lost track of how long they stayed standing, trying to merge as one again.

Eventually, their legs gave way and they fell among the Buffalo hides, kneeling before each other. He kept her face in his hands and pressed lips down to touch hers and years melted away. She leaned into it and he could taste the salt of her tears when it mixed with the tip of her honeyed tongue as it pressed his lips open. He feasted, starving, his dry and dormant soul springing to life and he threw back his head, laughing in triumph and rejoicing. She joined him, her laughter reaching for the skies along with him.

"When can we fly again, my Wang Menquin?"

"Now. Hold on and we will burst through the top of this lodge in seconds."

She chuckled, that deep, throaty chuckle that always hit him in his heart then traveled to his solar plexus, killing all sense of propriety and decorum. Making him drop the Lan Sect Master facade, the mask of a Band Chieftain and become XiChen and nothing else. He had missed it in every cell for far too long, that ability to be basic and absolutely himself. Only Ming could bring him back to full life.

"Now that would shock the village, my dearest love. Tonight. I want to night-fly. I want to make love under the stars. I want to spin out of control, fall and have you catch me. The night has always been our's, my Hawk. Nobody else. It became a desert for me until now. I want to feast on you, drink you in. Tonight.

He whispered desperately. " My Menquin, my Winter Owl, my raptor queen. " She smiled as she felt him harden and she could sense that long-lost spring of desire begin to moisten her and it sent a shiver up her spine.. Their lips crashed violently once more...and voices, pitched high enough to warn them, forced sighs of frustration from them as they broke apart. Then Soaring Hawk reached out and grabbed her hand like a lifeline and she squeezed it back, not caring about etiquette.

Red Arrow's's voice intruded, soft and apologetic. "My General, may we enter?"

"Yes,

The others entered. Red Arrows to the front, followed by Running Deer, Cloud Chief, Rabbit, Flame walking Woman and Chief Fights Like Bear.

Red Arrows gripped her hard. She was never one to make easy friendships and those from her first life had been the closest and dearest. She often spent lifetimes alone rather than open up new ones and accept that intensity and the tole it took to keep them thriving. But this woman, entering her life again was indescribable. And the last pictures of her as Yenay held her dead body, was suddenly gone as the warrior finally openned her heart and set it free.

Then there was a rush as the others pressed forward, hugging, weeping, laughing. And the old Lakota Chief looked on, amazed at the reunion before him, but happy for this niece of his whose longings in this life were suddenly filled.

                         ******

Night began to fall, softly and seductively, luring Winter Owl from the teepee she was sharing with Red Arrows and Running Deer. The others heard her leave and they held eack other tightly, happy for their sworn sister as she listened to the call of a hawk in the distance.

She called back and he repeated, beckoning her forward until his sharp vision spotted her coming, dressed in a white buckskin dress, inky hair spilling free about her shoulders and back. He waited for her approach and the took into his arms. They tasted one another again. It was slow and familiar.

"Ready?"

She nodded as if in a trance, eyes vaguely unfocused, doubting the reality of it all. They began, feet on the ground as the familiar rhythm filled them, calling them to dance, swirling between the, tall lodgepole pines, green and grey. White aspen followed their movements with envious black eyes and quaking leaves. Nightshine from wilderness creatures tracked them, as they watched bemused and cautious.

As they danced their way back to the clearing, Soaring Hawk began to tighten his grip, increasing the speed of his footwork, twirling in tighter and tighter circles until the momentum and the force of his core lifted them toward the heavens. It was then that their lips met again and the passion, that had laid dormant for them both for so many years  began to take over and possess them once more. He used the treetops as a dance floor and as they came to rest on each one he would build his momentum quicker and quicker until they rose up again landing on the next, until finally he propelled himself up towards the heavens keeping them spinning. She loosened her grip from his neck and lean back as far as she could in a graceful bow, arms flung wide as if she were truly flying, hair flowing, eyes riveted on the twinkling stars shining clear and sharp in the deep lilac sky. He could not stop looking at the beauty that lay in his arms and he threw his head back and screamed his joy into the nighttime sky. It seemed that they flew forever, but their passions overtook them finally and they came slowly back down to earth. They stood there in the clearing, chest heaving, unable to bear the longing anymore. They tore at their clothes their strength rending the buckskin apart and exposing their gleaming, sweat covered bodies.

She was ready, open and creaming and she lifted her hips to meet him as he plunged towards her. He sheathed himself in one movement. Their calls filled the night.

"Lan XiChen!"

"My Ming."

.

.