1.10

"Dammit!" Anya scowled, wandering through the corridors of Hogwarts, turning sharply whenever she saw a new corridor. She most definitely did not know where she was going, but she was far too proud to admit it as she made sure not to make too many turns on a single side.

"I honestly cannot believe we are lost thanks to you," James commented, following behind her lazily. He had caught Anya sneaking out of the library on an early Sunday morning, and joined her on the awkward exploration. He, however, made no effort to admit that he knew how to get around the castle, thanks to Remus' detailed and marked map, which he spent hours studying as they made it a mission to discover every secret of the school.

"What were you even doing at the library so early?" James asked, walking a few steps behind her, "Alone?"

"Just homework." She shrugged as she answered him. He did not believe her but did not say anything more about it.

"Why are you awake so early?" She asked him.

"Quidditch practice," he answered.

"You can't try out till next year."

"It does not hurt to practice until then," he shrugged. They walked side by side but said nothing for a few minutes, until his curiosity ate away at him, "Tell me the truth. What were you doing in the library?"

She smiled at him, "Just a little research."

He grabbed her by her arm and pulled her towards him. They stood so close that they could hear each other's hearts beating, and he was looking into her eyes. Had they been older, this would have been an earth-shattering moment where they would both be vulnerable. But they were not. They were two eleven year olds, grovelling for power over the other. Finally, James broke the silence, "Be honest with me."

She said nothing. She watched him, challenging him silently.

"I know you are no angel, so don't pretend to be one with me, princess." He scowled, closing the distance between them.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she replied.

"I know it was you and Phoebe with the ink box prank on Naomi, the one that Sirius and I got accused of," he explained, "Remus and Peter told us. Well, they don't know it for sure, they suspect. But I am smarter than that."

"Perhaps you give yourself way more credit than you deserve, your highness." Anya was smirking as she placed distance between them. She turned around and began walking away.

He ignored her statement and he spoke more, filling in the brief moment of cold silence between them both, "Where were you headed anyways?"

"I was looking for a good hiding space. Presently avoiding my roommates, we got into a fight earlier." Anya informed him and he did not prod for more information.

"Do you even know where you are going?" He asked, watching her with a frustrated expression. She stopped moving and turned to look at him, expressing her confusion. He chuckled as he walked towards her, "Follow me."

He did not leave her much of a choice as he grabbed her hand and lead her through the castle, making his way to the Quidditch pitch. On the way out, he opened a broom closet and pulled his broom out, which he hid at the very back of it, and handed one to her. She did not argue and accepted it.

"You've known how to get around the castle this whole time?" Anya gawked, stopping in her paths.

He stopped moving when he could not hear her and turned to face her, smiling as he answered her, "It was pretty amusing watching you get lost up in here."

She caught up to him and walked alongside him, letting him lead. She was still irritated about his coldness, "You are unbearable."

"A wonderous compliment from the most annoying brat I know. And Sirius is my best friend," he laughed. They welcomed the crispy, chilling air of the morning as they stepped onto the grass, leaving the warmth of the castle. Walking towards the large pitch, he interrogated her more, "Didn't everyone get a map of the school?"