Epilogue | "I think I love her."

Start from the beginning

Lingard: Don’t remind me. I’m not gonna say thank you for keeping me alive. But I’m gonna try and find something out there that might make me say thank you… someday.

Clementine: So where’s AJ? Tell us. Where?

Emma: Please, doctor. It’s the only thing left.

Javier: You know they won’t rest until they find AJ. Where is he? Please, man, for their sake.

The doctor sighed, face pale in the sunlight.

Lingard: He’s at McCarroll Ranch. It’s not too far from here. That’s… That’s where we left him, at least.

Clementine: Thank you. Good luck out there, doctor.

Emma: I hope you find that small bit of thanks.

He nodded to us and walked away, further into the groups of kids and people sitting around in the grass.

Javier: You two outta here too, huh?

Emma: Mhm, we figured it was about time. We know where AJ is now and we’re gonna go find him. It’s been so long… we can’t wait any longer.

Clementine: But could you do me one last favor, before I leave?

Emma: And after you’ve done that, I need to speak to you.

He nodded and sat down to cut Clementine’s hair. I gave a smile before walking towards Kate and Mariana, who were sitting by the front steps of the city hall.

Emma: Hey, you two.

Mariana: Hey.

Kate: What’s up, Emma?

Emma: I’ve, um… Well, I’ve come to say goodbye.

They both stood up out of shock and ran down the steps towards me.

Mariana: Really?

Emma: Really. I’m sorry.

Kate: You’ve done nothing wrong, Emma. Nothing wrong at all. We’re just gonna miss you, is all.

Emma: Well, I’m gonna miss you guys, too.

Mariana: Like, we’re really going to miss you.

The girl pulled me into a hug that I welcomed, closing my eyes to stop the tears from falling. I promised myself I wasn’t going to cry when the time came, I was just going to be happy that any of it happened.

Emma: God… This is harder than I expected.

Kate: Speak for yourself.

The woman wiped a tear from her face while laughing, joining the hug.

Kate: It was almost like having an adopted daughter, Emma. You really brought entertainment to the group.

Emma: Thanks, Kate… At least I could make you all happy in those dark times.

Mariana: You saved my life. I never properly thanked you for that. Back at the junkyard.

Emma: You didn’t need to say it, Mari. I would’ve saved you whatever the situation.

Mariana: I know… But thank you.

Emma: Anytime.

I let go from the hug, both of them stepping back with tears in their eyes.

Emma: Come on, don’t cry, please. I’m not that important. You will all survive without me!

Kate: But it will feel weird without you not making sarcastic comments everytime someone says something stupid.