chapter seventeen: rituals

Start from the beginning

     One person I have been able to talk to a lot is Becca. Thankfully I got Becca's number during the game last week and ever since then she and I have been texting nonstop. I didn't realize how nice it would be to have constant contact with her.

     I think it's so nice because she understands what I'm going through. Well, maybe not completely because I don't think the majority of people who kissed a random guy at a club end up finding out he is a NBA star and fake dating him, but I digress. It feels more natural talking to her about the boys being away because I don't see her everyday. She almost feels like a made up character in my life.

     The one problem I'm struggling with is Lindsey. Anytime she mentions Noah, a lump forms in my throat. How could I go from telling her every little detail of my life to lying to her about such a gigantic thing? Guilt consumes my entire body anytime I make up another lie to her about our relationship.

     I don't know if I can lie to her for another half of a year.

     I shake off the uneasy feeling settling in my chest and keep shuffling my way through the crowd of people. After a week of away games, the Bulls are back at the United Center for another home game. If it wasn't for Becca texting me about it I wouldn't have even been here. I was sufficiently tucked under my comforter and had the Netflix home screen already up on the TV when I got a text from her.

     And of course, I'm running late.

     I pick up my pace to make it to my seat before the starting line up is called. On my quick race to meet Becca, someone passing by rams right into my shoulder causing me to lose my footing and stagger back. Just before I'm falling right on my butt, two warm hands grab under my arms and jolt me back up.

     I turn to look at him. "Thanks Garrett." I mumble as I dust myself off and keep on moving. Yup, of course I got Garrett tagging along. I thought being in the same building as Noah would mean the security wouldn't be necessary, but I suppose Noah really meant that Garrett would be going with me everywhere from now on.

     I hear him grunt behind me as his form of 'you're welcome', which I choose to ignore. Unlike Lins, my heart isn't dead set on making the man speak.

     Finally I arrive in the same section we were in the last game and my eyes instantly fall onto the most beautiful mother I've seen. Becca spots me too and a large smile appears right on her face, flashing her perfectly straight white teeth at me. I approach her and her hands shoot up, presenting me with two clear plastic cups filled with beer.

     "Hey! Just in time! They are calling the line up in a minute!" She shouts over the excitement of the crowd.

     "I can't believe I actually made it on time! What's this?" I question when she shoves the beer in my hand.

     "Cheap beer. Trev and I have the night off from parenting and I plan on taking full advantage of it!" I must have shown her a face of disgust because her eyes rapidly widened. "Oh shit! I didn't even think to ask if you like beer! I'm sorry honey! Down in the south all my family drank was this cheap stuff I didn't think about how you midwesterners like it!" She apologizes.

     LA Tayla would be expected to politely turn down the beverage. My parents' cocktail parties solely consisted of mixed drinks, expensive bubbly champagne, and the oldest wine they could find. I doubt anyone from the heritage has even had a sip of cheap beer. Even at highschool parties we would drink some ale that cost over a couple hundred dollars.