Bonus #1: Jealousy makes the heart grow fonder... right?

Start from the beginning

"Hey, don't you think that lady is a little too close?" Rylan looked over my shoulder.

I followed her gaze to see Reyn's client bidding him farewell. I watched as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her body against his. As if that weren't enough, she pressed a kiss to each of his cheeks.

I furrowed my eyebrows and faced back forward towards Ry. A sigh escaped me. It almost felt like deja vu, except there weren't countless eyes on us, histrionic fathers, or titles like 'ex-fiance' mocking me this time.

"What are you going to do?" She leaned over the counter, her face closer to mine so I could hear her low voice above the jazz music that thrummed in the air around us.

"Could you pass me a vodka shot?" I needed something to curb the irritation in my veins. She was just a client. He didn't hug her back. He just stood still. But he didn't push her away or set any boundaries either. Maybe she was one of those touchy-feely kinds of people who had no qualms hugging and kissing friends. Or maybe it was a cultural thing. Or maybe. Or maybe. Or maybe.

I threw back the shot Ry slid over to me and answered her honestly. "I'm not sure what I'm going to do."

"He's coming over here. Do you want anything to drink before you go? Or do you want me to distract him? I could make something up real quick..."

"No, it's fine. Thanks, Ry." I gave her a small smile and mentally braced myself for what was to come.

"Anytime, Dani, you know I've got your back," she winked before turning around to serve some of the other guests who had seated themselves at the bar while we were talking.

I stiffened when I felt two arms wrap around my shoulders from behind. The same arms that stayed by his side when another woman was touching him.

"Hey, princess." He whispered in my ear before pressing a kiss to my cheek. 

Reyn being Reyn, clued into the fact that something was wrong as soon as I failed to relax into his hold.

"You ready to go home?" He tried looking into my eyes, but I got out of the chair slowly and stood facing the door. Usually, at this point, I would wrap my hand around his upper arm.

Another sign to Reyn that something was off.

Walking ahead, I was still trying to figure out how to go about this. Was I overreacting?

I had never been put in this position before. Reyn had never put me in this position before. That had to mean something right? But what if this wasn't an isolated incident that I just happened to see? What if there were other women who he let touch him like that?

His fingers brushed mine tentatively but I moved my hand. I really didn't want to be touched right now. Any small contact sent my skin crawling. I wanted to throw up. Everything felt so overwhelming. I didn't want to upset him but I didn't want to act like everything was okay when it wasn't either.

The change in the air around us was palpable. He hated when I pulled away from him. The rough breath he let out at my action sent shivers down my spine. He would have picked up on my bad mood before. But now he would have been certain that it was him that I wasn't happy with.

I felt the heat of his palm just above my lower back in a possessive gesture minus the physical contact.

I tapped my heel anxiously on the pavement while we waited for the valet to bring around Reyn's car. I hugged myself, my hands squeezing my sides, craving comfort that I couldn't seem to give myself.

I could see Reyn flexing his hands by his sides out of the corner of my eye.

When his car pulled up in front of us. He opened the passenger door for me. He brought his fist up to prevent me from hitting my head and offered a hand to help me into the car which I refused to take. In my peripheral vision, he pursed his lips before gently closing my door and walking stiffly towards his side of the car.