Chapter 10

I sat in the bedroom studying, continuing where I left off last night. At this point I was just going through flashcards, making sure I retained all the information from my notes.

The apartment was completely silent, so I wore my headphones and listened to some instrumentals. Silence, for some reason, distracted me more than noise. I loved to study at cafes that had the light bustle of foot traffic and whispered conversation, but I was often too lazy to get dressed to leave the house. Studying here, at Reyn's place was a nice change of scenery from my mundane bedroom.

Reyn had some errands to handle involving the bar, so I was alone in the house. He had left late in the morning; the sun was setting now casting an orange glow throughout the room. He messaged me every few hours to make sure I was okay. My heart sped up when I felt my phone vibrate the table. But I frowned when I saw the notification.

There was another message from the same person as yesterday.

If I knew you'd be so quick to move in with someone, I would've made sure to come to you sooner.

Another message soon followed. And another.

Don't worry, I'm not mad. This person is just practice.

We'll be together soon enough.

The hair on my arms stood. There was no way he could know that. No one knew that I was staying here besides Reyn. Even Tess didn't know. I suddenly didn't want to be alone anymore. My skin crawled. Was this person watching me? I didn't even know that many people. All I did was stay at home and study... what was there to watch? My chest tightened as I wondered how much this person knew. I texted Reyn.

Daddy, does anyone know I'm staying with you?

R: No, princess. Why?

I sent a screenshot of the messages to him. He responded instantly.

R: I'm already on my way home.

I picked up when I felt my phone ring on my lap. He didn't waste any time before speaking.

"You didn't tell anyone you're with me right, baby? Not even a suggestion?" He emphasized the second question.

"No, Daddy. Nobody knows. Not even Tess." My hands shook. I was frozen in my chair. I needed him to get here soon.

"I'm halfway there, babygirl, I'll be there soon." He reassured. I heard his engine rev in the background.

"Okay, I'm just studying in the bedroom."

"All right, baby. I'm on my way up now." He cut the call abruptly.

Seconds later, I heard the front door slam open and closed quickly followed by the bedroom door. Reyn's frame filled the opening, his hair disheveled and chest heaving. You would have thought he sprinted from the bar straight here.

He took large steps over to me and wrapped me in his arms.

My phone buzzed again.

Your boyfriend got there quick, didn't he?

My hands wouldn't stop shaking, I could barely make out what the message said. When Reyn, eased the phone out of my hands and looked down at the screen, his hand tightened around it and shook for a different reason.

"He's here. He's watching." I whispered into his chest.

"We don't know that, baby. He could just be getting information from someone."

That didn't calm my nerves. For some reason, I disliked that even more. It meant he was clever. It meant he knew how to get what he wanted without getting his hands dirty. And that made it all the more anxiety-inducing.