Chapter 1

I tightened my fingers around the pen in my hand furiously covering the paper in front of me in my half-print, half-cursive handwriting. Glancing back at the textbook page on my laptop screen I sighed, I had finally finished another chapter of notes. I leaned back in my chair, bringing my legs up so my chin could rest on my knees. My eyes shifted to the curls of steam rising from the cup of tea to my right absent-mindedly watching as it formed various shapes against the mood board on the wall. I relished in the silence of my mind. My headache eased away as my thoughts evaporated just like the whorls of steam I couldn't peel my eyes away from.

A minute or two later I was pulled out of my empty headspace by the buzzing of my phone. My phone screen was bright against the dim evening light in my room. The sole source of additional light was the desk lamp sitting on the corner of my desk and the star-shaped string lights above my bed. I unlocked my phone to a message from Tessa.

T: Hey, you busy? O.o

No, just finished up my work. What's up?

T: Wanna go out tonight? Some of my brother's friends from college are going to the bar in an hour or so.

Tessa had lived in the city her whole life- high school, undergrad, and now. I had only moved to Houston late last year, so whenever Tessa went out with some of her friends, I was more than happy to join.

A night out was exactly what I needed after such a mundane. lackluster week. I even spent the better part of a Friday afternoon holed up in my bedroom studying, I deserved- no, needed- some time out of my apartment. My thumbs couldn't move faster against the screen.

I'm in. Meet you there in an hour?

T: Yes ma'am! It's the usual on 3rd. Do you know how to get there, or you want me to pick you up?

I smiled and then quickly stopped. I probably looked like a psychopath smiling with the harsh light from my phone lighting up my face from underneath. I turned the brightness all the way down, the tension that I didn't realize was building behind my eyes immediately dissipated. I focused back on my conversation with Tess.

I know where it is! Tyty <3

There was no way I was going to let Tessa give me a ride. The bar was right between the two of us so picking me up just to drive back the way she came made no sense at all.

See you soon ^^

T: Ah, can't wait!!

Making my way to my closet, I groaned. I loved clothes, but I hated picking out what to wear. I let one of my hands glide against the fabrics before landing on a white one-shoulder body suit. I took it off the hanger and threw it on the bed. Before choosing a few more options. I turned around and grabbed my phone taking a picture and sending it to Tessa.

I can't choose TT... which one?

T: Bishhhhh definitely the one shoulder with the black jeans.

Okieee

Thirty minutes later I was all dressed up with my makeup done. I threw my hair up in a high ponytail with a satin scarf, put in some gold hoop earrings and grabbed a pair of black heels that I stumbled to put on by the door. Bag in hand, I went down to the uber I had ordered a few minutes ago.

The next ten minutes were spent in a comfortable silence until we reached the destination. While thanking her, I stepped out, my hair dancing along with the slight breeze that greeted me. I had been calm on the way here but suddenly my stomach clenched and my chest felt tight. I was so excited to see my best friend, but I had just remembered about the others who I had never met before. I placed my hand against my heart. The uber had dropped me off right at the door of the bar. I simply walked over to the side to recollect myself.