Chapter 3

Chapter three

Every day I woke up at five in the morning, my body clock not being able to snap out of my early morning routine, and I’d walk through the same path and sit in the same spot to watch the same girl... just the same as every other morning since I first saw her.

I never tried to make contact, yet I never tried to hide the fact that I was sitting there and watching her. At the back of my mind I wondered if I seemed a little too much like a stalker, but in the end I just wanted to have my daily dose seeing this mystery woman.

It had been six months since I was injured and, according to the doctors, I was healing quickly and the morning walks on the beach really helped to strengthen my muscle. I had another appointment today with the same doctor to see whether I was allowed more physical work and I was desperate for him to say ‘yes’!

The clouds above were murky and coloured with light and dark shades of grey. Colder winds whipped at my exposed face the water looked choppy as it rushed around in uneven waves. As always the mystery girl was out in the water, but I wondered why she even would be. It was obvious that the weather was far from ideal for surfing and she looked so small out there in the wide open ocean I was almost certain she’d get blown away by the winds alone.

I wore a hoodie over my shirt and shorts and I pulled the hood up to cover my head when rain began to shower down lightly. I was tempted to walk back home, seeing as the cold and rain always made my leg feel more stiff and sore but something told me to just make sure that the mystery girl would finish up safely. I wasn’t sure if it was the ‘officer’ in me that told me to be protective of her (as I would with any other civilian) or just instinct that something might happen.

In any case, I listened to the small voice in my head.

The rain began to pour harder and soon I needed to squint through the haze of white downpour as I looked out for the woman who was still surfing... or trying to surf. The rain was cold and as it dropped onto the sand it left little dents as its souvenir. Over the choppy grey-blue water the waves looked angry at they all fought to crash down first and the rain splashing over the top didn’t help.

For a moment I lost sight of the woman and stood up to see a little better. I searched side to side for her and relaxed a little when I caught her rise up from behind a crashing wave. “Come on... get out of the water” I whispered to myself as I stared at her stupidly paddle further out, “What the hell are you doing?!”

She turned her board around and began to paddle quickly as a gigantic wave swelled up behind her. I didn’t notice I had stalked forward to the edge of the water, instead I kept my mind and eyes focused on the woman. The water rushed behind her and she pushed her arms, jumping up firmly on her board and riding the wave as it raged on. She stuck her hand out almost as if she was caressing the wave and then, without any reason that I could see from the shore, her board began to wobble and quickly flipped out from beneath her.

She collapsed into the water and disappeared as the wave as it crashed heavily over her with a loud roar. Her board, only visible because of how bright it was, spurted out the top of the wave and came sliding towards the shore as it rode the waves without its rider.

“Come on... where are you?” I nervously murmured into the howling winds.

Between waves I briefly spotted a flash of her bright yellow bikini before she slowly sunk back down and I didn’t even think twice about ripping my hoodie off and diving into the freezing cold water. I bit back my gasp as the iciness bit at my skin and soaked my clothes immediately. The rain was warm compared the ocean water!

I kicked my legs and dug my arms out as I swam towards the last spot I saw the woman and hoped she didn’t get washed out further too quickly. Waves crashed heavily over my head and I sucked in a deep breath before diving under to get further without nature trying to kill me too easily. A bobbing flash of bright yellow caught my attention to my left and I turned and kicked over to it.