Chapter XX - A Strategy

— Lexa —

"Have you heard of Jurian?" Rhysand asked me as I sat down at the table.

"Yes. He was in the first War and then became Amarantha's captive" I replied.

"That's a nice way to phrase it," Rhysand responded, running a hand through his violet hair. "She kept a piece of him, his eye more specifically, in a ring... He was able to watch everything she did Under the Mountain."

"Okay..." I replied, waiting for this information to show its relevance.

"I think your father means to resurrect him using the Cauldron, has he?" He asked blatantly.

I took a deep breath through my nose and pursed my lips. "If he has, it was not whilst I was there... on the night I was abducted" I glanced to Azriel, "it was odd that he didn't join me to Vallahan. My father, being the paranoid male he is, had just said he was meeting with an old friend. I have no doubt he would have revelled in the idea of me not knowing what that meant."

"So you think he has brought him back?" Cassian asked, anger dripping in his voice.

"I think he plans to do whatever is necessary to win the War. And if Jurian was indeed a leader of the human armies, then it stands to reason why the Queens were convinced to help my father." I replied to his question.

"But why... why would he help the King of Hybern? That was his original enemy, he wanted to liberate the human slaves not keep them captive" Rhysand asked me.

"My father is a hateful man, even without the Cauldron he has the power to find the hatred within and nurture it. Turn it into a weapon and wield it for his own goals." I replied, disgust lacing my voice.

"And Jurian hated us..." Azriel said as he looked at his brothers. He turned to me before explaining, "Jurian was in love with a half-Fae half-human called Miryam. But, in order to learn more about Hybern, he feigned a love interest in Amarantha's sister. He slaughtered her the night we helped Miryam escape with her true mate. And pledged he would destroy us all."

"Surely, after 500 years, 50 of those being strapped to Amrantha, he has other things to worry about?" Pleaded Cassian.

"Maybe..." replied Rhysand. Who was deep in thought from the memory. "But Lexa has a point. Perhaps he was the one to convince the Queens to trust Hybern. It would make sense."

I nodded and there was a small pause.

I then turned to Azriel. "What do you need to know?" I asked him.

"Everything" he replied with a small wicked smile.

So I told them. I told them everything. From the guard's schedules to hidden doors, to the wards my father favoured, and how he liked to hear himself talk. I finished my description in gruelling detail where the Cauldron would be. Though I had never been into the room below the castle myself, it was known that the Cauldron resided there.

Fate seemed to be on our side because as I finished speaking, Mor winnowed into the room. "She's ready," was all she said.

Everyone looked at each other and Rhys nodded to Azriel. He offered me his arm asking again, "are you ready?"

I smiled and took his hand. "Are you?" I replied with a raised eyebrow before he winnowed us away.

+

Amren had made some progress with the Book of Breathings. After detailing all I knew about the castle in Hybern. I was surprised to learn that the small look Azriel and Rhysand exchanged was regarding my personal invitation to attend their meeting in her apartment.