Chapter 3

Society Mamas were left wanting more last night at the annual Hastings Ball. For Lord Charles Basset has reappeared in London, leaving many to hope that he might finally begin his search for a wife. And yet, dearest reader, This Author does not believe that to be the case. As he only danced with one lucky young lady last night; Miss (Adeline) Bridgerton. For those gentle (or perhaps ignorant) readers who may be new to town this year, Miss Bridgerton is quite unlike most ladies of her station. While she may still be beautiful and not yet considered a spinster, she does not appear to be in want of a husband. It will have to be a remarkable man indeed to tame that independant miss.

~ Lady Whistledown's Society Papers, 27 April 1818

~ ~ ~ ~

T H I S was a mistake, Charlie thought to himself as he paced the plush blue and white carpet which covered the floors of the eloquently decorated duchess's chamber at Hastings House.

Although his sister-in-law never used this space (opting instead to sleep with her husband in his similarly decorated set of rooms), the chamber had been recently updated to match the tastes of the new duke and duchess—as had most of the house. The old duke's tastes were much too grand and imposing for Simon and Daphne, who preferred a warmer, more cheerful atmosphere in their home.

Charlie had once used these rooms to hide from his father. The old duke never stepped foot in the duchess's chambers since his wife had died. Although, Charlie suspected that his father didn't spend much time in these rooms when she was alive either.

The once depressing, dark red room was now a calming shade of sky blue—which, unfortunately, was not doing a good job at calming Charlie's nerves. In the centre of the room, there was a large four-poster bed, topped with what looked like a heavenly goosedown coverlet. At the end of the bed, there was a beautifully crafted white bench, and under the two large windows across the room sat a cozy blue damask sofa. There were three doors in the space; one led to the dressing room, one to the hallway and the last connected to the duke's chamber.

Lord, if only the duke could see him now. Simon would have so many questions—all of which Charlie would have no way of answering. For all the people he had lied to, he always had the hardest time telling falsehoods to his big brother. Simon, who had been his only confidant for so long and who was always there for him. Even when Charlie did something idiotic at school or was being picked on, Simon was there to defend him. Or more likely, to stare menacingly at any bully who dared to cross the Earl of Clyvedon's little brother.

He hated lying to Simon. It was his least favourite part of the job. But Charlie knew that his work was important, and if Simon did ever find out, he would understand. At least, that's what Charlie told himself on a near daily basis.

Charlie stopped pacing, sat tentatively on the plush sofa by the windows and checked his pocket watch for what felt like the two hundredth time. Shouldn't Adeline be here by now? Was she often late? Maybe someone caught her on the way out of the ballroom? Maybe she changed her mind? Or worse, she told her cousin what Charlie had requested and now the viscount was on his way to beat him to a pulp.

Charlie was shaken out of his inner ramblings by the obvious click of a doorknob—though not from the door leading to the hallway. The door from the dressing room started to creak open.

Oh no, he thought, I've been caught by a maid or perhaps the duchess herself!

Just as Charlie started to think about possible lies he could tell that would excuse his presence in his sister-in-law's chambers, Addie's pretty face peered around the open door, her eyes wide and unsure. She looked as if she was trying to decide whether or not to enter a lion's den.