Chapter 5

Could it be that Miss Adeline Bridgerton has managed to nab the most coveted title of Diamond? And in her fifth season no less! Unexpected? Quite. Impossible? Certainly not! Oh, how This Author adores a good twist.

~ Lady Whistledown Society Papers, 30 April 1818

~  ~  ~  ~

T H E Y began to walk towards Rotten Row in silence.

Of course, this only lasted about thirty seconds before Adeline simply could not stand the quiet any longer. As soon as they turned to walk around Berkeley Square she asked, "What precisely is it that you are looking for, my lord?"

She watched as Charles' eyes widened in alarm. His head darted all around them to see if anyone was in hearing distance. When he noticed her maid, Annie, was more than twenty feet behind them he turned toward her and said, "Do I have to remind you that this is a top secret assignment?" He then did a double take and looked back at Annie again, "and I must say your maid is a horrible chaperone."

"Oh Annie?" Adeline glanced behind her and waved at her companion, who waved back with a smile. "She and I have an understanding."

"An understanding?" His eyes widened with intrigue.

"My cousins and I discovered long ago how easy it is to bribe the help." She responded with a shrug. "Eloise, Frannie and I all share Annie as a lady's maid. She was recently promoted from a house maid because Soph—" Addie stopped her rambling and blushed. As if Lord Charles cared about who prepares her hair and dresses her for balls, "That is to say, she's very amenable... for the right price."

Charles was looking at her as though he was trying his hardest not to laugh. He shook his head, "You Bridgerton ladies are something else."

"We are that," she agreed. "But back to my earlier question; what is it that we are supposed to be looking for?"

"Anything out of the ordinary. Odd letters, crooked solicitors, unusual account records, differing behaviour in the viscount."

"Well you'll be happy to note that I highly doubt any of that would be found at Number Five, my lord. My aunt does keep an office there but she mostly uses it to manage her staff and write letters." She informed him as they turned down Hill Street.

"I assumed as much but we mustn't leave any stones unturned," he said. Then, as if it had just occurred to him, he added; "If we are to look as if we are truly courting, then you must call me by my name."

"Charles?"

He winced. "No one calls me Charles except for my father. And since he is dead, I insist you call me Charlie."

"Very well... Charlie," Adeline smiled teasingly. "You may call me 'Miss Bridgerton.'"

This earned her a light elbow in the ribs.

"Ow! Fine, you may call me Adeline or Addie if you must."

His lopsided grin displayed a single delightful dimple on his right cheek. It gave her the wholly inappropriate desire to reach up and cover the charming indent with her finger. "Oh I must," he responded playfully, "clearly, I must."

The next few moments of their journey were spent in silence. They were now walking on the gravelled path in Hyde Park. Many people were out for a stroll today on account of the warm weather. Ladies held on to their parasols and kept their bonnets tied tight lest they catch a tan, or (god forbid!) freckles. Men did not share the same worry and were free to enjoy the sun's powerful rays, although Addie had to admit, they did look quite uncomfortable in their jackets, waistcoats, cravats and shirts. At least the ladies' skirts were more suited to the hot summers in London.