[ Chapter 16 ]

Content Warnings:

•Mentions of Death
•Season 4 Spoilers
•Strong Language
•Violence
•Demons
•Ghosts
•Blood
•Death
•Panic
•Guns
•War

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Sensitive content is present in this chapter, please read at your own discretion.

Flashback

"Boys are icky." You stuck your tongue out at the thought. "But Miyuki constantly talks about them. Apparently there's one in her class who writes her love letters." Katsumi mentioned and cringed after. "Ew! I thought we were supposed to set up my brother with her, though?" You questioned, head turned towards the ravenette. "Yeah but he's in Cadet Corps, now!" Katsumi whined and crossed her arms over her chest. "Whenever he visits, we'll do it. Pinky promise?" You held out your shortest finger. "Of course." Katsumi nodded in agreement, then laced her pinky around yours.

"What about you, though? Are any boys writing you letters?" Your best friend giggled and poked your ribs. "No way! They all think I'm weird and make fun of me." You rolled your eyes and sat down on Katsumi's bed. "Hey, that's supposed to be my job!" The girl gasped as she acted disgruntled. You couldn't help but giggle at her remark. "Yeah, I know it is. Anyway, like I said, they're icky. I don't want any gross love letters." You affirmed confidently. "Suit yourself." Katsumi shrugged, then threw herself on the bed. "My dad wouldn't let me date anyone until I'm married, anyway." You explained which made Katsumi sit up. "That doesn't make any sense?!" She frowned. "He's weird." You sighed.

The day that you both finally got to set up your brother and her sister, they were nothing but a mess. Yet, neither you nor Katsumi saw it that way. They were two normal humans who reacted in normal ways. No one would be perfect or know what to say, so, to you, you felt a bit inspired by their interest in each other. As that interest grew into love, you started to envy an emotional connection like that but you would never admit it. If only someone cared for you the way that they did for each other.

Flashback End

Tremors, shatters, fires, blood. War unleashes in new territory, one that does not belong to you, for a change. Debris litters the town as bullet shells fall from the sky, a panic stirring as civilians scatter, their terrified screams clustering together into one deafening noise. Your own soldiers fall as they give their lives in the name of freedom, fighting for something they never once had but envied. Shots pelt your enemies as they unleash their defense attack, much stronger than yours. The ocean's waves rise much higher than the Walls from your home as a giant monster appears, destroying an entire port. The roars of your comrade signals that the battle has only just begun.

One step closer.

Being shaken out of your mindless state, Sasha shows a soft grin as her hand rests on your left shoulder. "Its almost time." She mouths through the slight commotion of your base. Your squad files through as they gear up before your initial infiltration. Even now, many more members have joined your regiment, all working for the end of your home's misery. "I'll be there shortly." You reply to the brunette, returning her smile. Nodding, the girl skips to the side before jogging off to join Jean, and Conny to finish loading up.

Fastening your belts, you stand up from a bench, smoothing your hands over your new uniform, all onyx-black leather. Once your belts are adjusted, you roam down the short hall towards a room full of crates, containing your new gear. With brand new equipment, you feel excited to finally use it in action after helping with the collaboration. Your elite knowledge was an advantage during the process and you even got to share your own opinions on how to advance the upgrade. You also to assist in assembling some of them, considering you're an expert at constructing them in a matter of less than an hour.