Tweleve

Arden
•••

I've been standing outside their base hidden in the trees, for nine minutes now. The base was just a straight walk. I would have eventually found it if Christian hadn't found me first.

He didn't want to just walk in with me, which is completely understandable. He had told me to stay put. While he's been gone, I've come up with a realization.

I didn't have to hate him, I didn't have to hate Carter or Levi when I saw them either. Taking down the royals did not mean having to take down them as well. As much as I deny it, they are my friends. The only ones I have. Even if they didn't think the same of me right now, I loved them.

Maybe once I take over the world, they can stay at my side. I needed them.

   I'm snapped out of my thoughts, when I hear hushed voices nearing.

"You did not lead her here." A voice whispers. I don't hear what Christian whispers back. "You shouldn't have gotten me." The voice grows louder, getting closer.

"I didn't know who else to get."

"Will's going to beat your ass." A slight smile makes its way on my face when I hear his voice. Once they get into view, the smile drops. His blonde hair seems darker, his bright blue eyes seem dimmer. There's a cut on his right chin, and dark bags under his eyes. He looks tired, he looks sad. He looks as if he had lost the girl he had loved. He had.

I realize what's happening too late. Tears burst in my eyes. The words vomit out of my mouth. "I'm sorry."

Levi gives me a sad smile. "Me too." He takes a step, reaching towards me.

   Wanting to be touched, wanting to feel comfort, I leaned into his embrace. I didn't know what he was sorry for until it was too late. Something felt off, moments after he had embraced me.

Something was wrong. I feel wrong. I look up at him, his eyes filled with guilt. I feel different, I can't breath. I push away from him as if his skin was burning me. I scan my body, it doesn't take long for my eyes to zone into it. Onto the bracelet.

I look at him with wide eyes. "You put it on me." I whisper. I sway a little. He reaches his arms to steady me, but I put my arm up in protest. "Don't touch me." I felt sick. I felt as if a part of me was being yanked away, life was being sucked out of my body. I was growing dizzy. "I wasn't going to hurt anyone." I whisper as black dots cloud my vision.

"I'm sorry." He whispers again. I was too busy falling to know if he meant it.
•••