Ten

Arden
•••

    They put me through hell, and then had me walk three miles. I'm practically sweating, walking god know where. My instructions were clear. "Just walk straight." That's what I was told.

   Straight to where? I have no clue. They said they couldn't drop me off at the place, I guess that makes sense. It would give their whole plan away. My dad simply told me that I would be found by who I need to be found by. I could only assume that was the people I used to refer as family. The "good" guys.

If I'm being honest, I started singing ninety nine bottles of stupid milk on the wall. That's how bored I was. And to make things worse, I've lost count like five times and had to restart.

A shot rings out, causing me to drop to the floor. "Fuck." I mutter.

"Lay face down and put your hands behind your back." A voice shouts. Obviously, I listen. This is gross, the ground is gross. My new pants are dirty.

"I swear a worm just climbed into my hair." I mumble, as the man walks closer. My wrists are grabbed, and I'm yanked up. I could easily disarm him, kill him even. But I need to follow the plan.

"No fucking way." The voice mutters, dropping my hands. I turn and face the guy.

My eyes widen, "Christian?"

"Arden?" He says simultaneously. Of course I remember him. He was the oldest friend of Will's. Will's best friend. "What are you doing here?"

"You know, just walking around." I didn't hate him, he was such a hard person to hate. He looks over his shoulder, then scans the rest of the area. "I'm alone."

"I have orders to kill any rebels on the spot." He scratches his neck nervously.

"It's a good thing I'm not a rebel."

He narrows his eyes, "Thats no funny."

"Do you want it to be funny?" I teased, "I can say it with an accent."

"I'm thinking I should of just shot you when I saw you." He crosses his arm, and puts anyway his gun.

"You're putting your gun away?"

"It's not like it would do any harm against you anyways."

I shrug, "It could. I'm not invincible."

He laughs, then quickly covers it with a cough. "I shouldn't like you."

I smile, "You heard what I did?"

He sighs, "Yea, that's not even why I shouldn't like you. I'm going to be honest. You want me to be honest?" He asks, and I nod. "I get why you would betray them. Will explained everything to me. What happened to your mother, your sister." I try not to react to the mention of my sister. I haven't decided how or if I'm going to tell them about her being alive. "I get why you betrayed them. But what I don't get is why you had to go break my boys heart."

My cheeks pinken, this wasn't a conversation I wanted to have. "I didn't want to."

"You don't seem like the type of girl that does things she doesn't want to do."

"Then you'd be surprised."

"Why are you here Arden?"

"I have an idea."

"I have a feeling it's not a good one."
•••