Laser Tag | Chpt 31

Start from the beginning

"Oh, well, we just haven't seen you in a while," Kirishima pointed out. I furrowed my eyebrows, glancing aside.

"We don't have to hang out all the time," I pointed out, though I felt bad saying it.

"Yeah, that's true."

I looked to Bakugo who was just staring at me. It wasn't his usual glare, but he looked rather confused and the fact he was confused made him angry. He didn't break his gaze from me, so I had to be the one to look away.

"Uhm...so was that it?" I asked, getting uncomfortably itchy just standing in this interrogation.

"We just figured you might want to do something with us," Kirishima said. It was an innocent sentence, but it hurt way more than it should. Kirishima had been referring to himself and Bakugo as a 'we' this whole time and it was evident that Kirishima thought I was the one who wanted to be a part of whatever they had going on. That maybe I had nothing to do all by myself and wanted somebody to tag along. It was always me and then them.

"I'm actually pretty tired, I was going to just take a nap," I replied. "Maybe tomorrow."

"Yeah! Tomorrow," Kirishima said, after a palpable pause. It took them a second to physically gather themselves and start moving away from my door.

"Uhm, wait--" I said, dipping into my room. I returned with the second volume of the manga Bakugo had lent me and held it out to him. "So I don't forget."

"Right," he said, finally speaking.

"Later," I said, giving a small wave before shutting myself up in my room in embarrassment. I sat on my bed, face in my hands. Why couldn't I just suck it up and be a normal person? I couldn't even live with that interaction it was the worst one I had ever had, and I worked service in a villain bar. I couldn't just tell them to their faces that I didn't want to see them right now, so I just had to keep blatantly and badly lying to them. I had binged enough romance drama recently to make sense of things, and I knew better. I really just had to talk about it. It was too hard to talk about with Kirishima and Bakugo and it wasn't just my inexperience. TV made those characters lie and avoid each other because of how hard it really was just to talk to people.

I didn't think I was a dramatic person, but it was clear that I was.

I had dug myself a hole, half-promising a tomorrow. I guess I should take Aizawa's advice and just be as normal as I could around them. I was actually right in what I said to Mina, I couldn't avoid them forever. I couldn't even avoid them for one day.

The next day I shifted around uncomfortably throughout school, until it was over. As I was walking back Kaminari solidified plans for going to the arcade this afternoon.

"We can play laser tag. They have a huge one with pairs as teams instead of just 2 colors," he ranted to me. I walked alongside Kaminari with the rest of the group tagging along. "So it's a more interesting game!"

"That sounds fun," I reassured.

"I thinks so," he said. "I can teach you all the games."

"I'm familiar with arcades. More so than regular video games," I reassured. "I'm certain I could beat you at Skee Ball."

"What? No way."

"Yes way," I replied.

"You're so on," he said. "It's just down there," he said pointing a ways down, across the street. We all followed him there and before we dispersed to play games amongst ourselves, we all met in front of the laser tag area. Mina linked arms with me before I could even process the spoken instruction from the worker.