𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐯. peace in the valley.

( full dialogue in italics is assumed to be spoken in dutch

( full dialogue in italics is assumed to be spoken in dutch. near the end of the chapter, i do highly recommend you listen to peace in the valley by elvis for the full effect! )

꧁—— ❦ ——꧂

The Entrance Hall was packed with students, all milling around waiting for eight o'clock, when the doors to the Great Hall would be thrown open. Those people who were meeting partners from different houses were edging through the crowd, trying to find each other. Harry felt awkward standing alone, anxiously shuffling on his feet and adjusting the collar of his dress robes. Scanning the crowd he let out a sigh of relief, spotting Ron with Padma Patil near the doors.

"Hullo." Harry said once he'd headed towards them, adjusting the collar once more.

"Hi." Padma replied, who looked just as pretty as her sister Parvati in robes of bright turquoise. She didn't look too enthusiastic as having Ron as a partner, though; her dark eyes lingered on the frayed neck and sleeves of his dress robes as she looked him up and down. In her defence, they were horrid robes.

"Hi." Ron said, not looking at her, but staring out at the crowd. "Oh, no..."

He bent his knees slightly to hide behind Harry, because Fleur Delacour was passing ( and Harry didn't think anyone had forgot the embarrassing spectacle of Ron asking her to be his partner ) looking stunning in robes of silver-grey satin, accompanied by the Ravenclaw Quidditch captain, Roger Davies. When they had disappeared, Ron stood straight again and stared over the heads of the crowd.

"Where is Hermione?" Ron asked, to which Harry merely shrugged.

A group of Slytherins came up the steps from the dungeon common room. Malfoy was in front, wearing dress robes of black velvet with a high collar, which in Harry's opinion made him look like a vicar. Pansy Parkinson was clutching Malfoy's arm, in very frilly robes of pale pink. Crabbe and Goyle were both wearing green; they resembled moss-coloured boulders, and neither of them, Harry was pleased to see, had managed to find a partner.

Harry scanned the crowd again and his heart seemed to painfully twist in his chest. Aveline was walking down the stairs in robes of lavender, half of her hair pinned atop her head in a knob, and she was breathtakingly gorgeous. His jaw embarrassingly dropped open, and for a second, he forgot just who she was. It almost felt like watching the sun paint the sky in a variety of colours, pinks and blues swirling with hues of orange, and the faint beginning of stars flickering across the clouds. There was the moment of peace, a moment of happiness, and then the realization that it was only Aveline. He was certain everyone heard his heart splitting in two.