Thicker Than Water (Part 2) | "Family is what you make it."

Começar do início

Emma: It’s fine, Dad.

Kenny: Life doesn’t mean much without people you can relate to. Like you two, you found each other in this mess and you’ve stuck together ever since. Sarita always said, “Family is what you make it.” She was right. I’m sorry for all this sappy shit. I guess I’m just… happy. Huh! First time in a while.

I looked at Clementine and we both understood what we wanted to do. We both leaned forward, AJ in the middle, hugging my dad and he chuckled lightly.

Kenny: Alright, alright, alright. Enough sap, Kenny. How about this one, little man?

He moved his hands into the shape of a boat, making it bobb up and down on the tent flaps. I sat back down on the log with Clementine, AJ babbling and us two laughing.

Clementine: We’ve got each other. As long as we have that, we’ll be okay.

Emma: You said it, Clem.

ONE MONTH LATER

I had tear tracks down my eyes, my heart broken and everything was gone. My family, my home. Everything. I felt tired, tired just from crying or walking, I wasn’t sure. Sitting down on a log, I moved my knees up to my chest, leaning my head down into my arms, letting the tears fall again. I couldn’t help it. I had nothing left. I had spent the last couple days trying to find Clementine, but she was nowhere to be found and I believe that New Frontier had something to do with that. And then there was AJ. He was gone, taken by the same people who split us apart. It was over, my whole life. And it was over in a matter of five minutes. How could that be possible? What kind of world does that?

As I continued to sob into my arms, I heard a rustle of leaves, making me quickly look up. I wiped away the tears, getting to my feet and bringing out my knife, my head moving from side to side. My eyes flitted to everything around me.

Emma: Whoever’s there… you better fucking come out! I am not in the mood and I feel like spilling some blood!

Ava: Alright! Alright!

The woman came out from behind a bush, her hands up in the air as she looked at me with sympathetic eyes.

Ava: It’s just me.

She walked over to me, but I didn’t put away my knife. I didn’t trust her. Not anymore.

Emma: What the fuck do you want!? You want to take what’s left of my broken life!?

Ava: I’m sorry, Emma. I know that you’re pissed. At me, at David… at yourself. But believe it or not, I am sorry about what happened. None of us found what happened easy. You have to believe that.

Emma: Just… Fuck off. I can’t deal with all of this anymore.

I put my knife back in its sheath, sighing and sitting back down on the log. Ava watched me, eyebrows furrowed in worry.

Ava: Are you okay?

Emma: What do you fucking think, Ava!? Not only did you rip the one thing I had left to live for, but you took away the girl I… You took everything.

Ava: You love her…

Emma: What? Just go away.

Ava: But you love Clementine.

Emma: Yeah, sure. She’s my best friend.

Ava: No, you didn’t say it like that. You love her more than that.

I sat there, not meeting her eyes. I ducked my head, putting them back in my arms. I felt the log move slightly, Ava sitting beside me.

Ava: I’m sorry, Emma.

Emma: No, you’re not. If you were sorry, you would do something. Anything.

Ava: I can tell you… she’s safe. Clementine’s okay.

My eyes widened, looking up at her finally.

Emma: You’ve seen her?

Ava: I have.

Emma: Where is she? Ava! Where the fuck is she!?

I began to stand up, but Ava dragged me back down, shaking her head.

Ava: You know I can’t tell you.

Emma: But you can. Who’s gonna know?

Ava: I will. I made a promise to follow all the New Frontier rules when I joined. So did you. But you broke them and look what happened… I’m not prepared for that. I’m not doing that to the people who have saved my life numerous times.

Emma: Bullshit. I’m sorry, but everything you’re saying is bullshit. The New Frontier, their rules. It’s all bullshit.

Ava: I can see why you’d think that. You’re upset. But to me, this is everything. I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

Emma: Look, I don’t care about hearing your excuses. If you’re not going to help me, just leave.

Ava: I am actually going to help you.

She dropped the duffel back down from her arm, looking at me with a pointed look.

Ava: I know, it’s not much… It’s all I could get to you. Just take it.

Emma: Maybe I don’t want your supplies.

Ava: Fine. Don’t take them. See what happens.

Emma: Look, I’m not going to say thank you. That’s not happening anytime soon. But if this is it now, for the love of God just leave me alone.

Ava: I’m sorry again, Emma.

Emma: You’re not. You’ll see that soon enough, though.

And I picked up the duffel bag, swinging it over my back and walking into the woods, wiping away the rest of my tears and letting the anger take me over.