All Aboard

The sound of a train whistle woke Ana. She started and felt Sam jolt awake, too. They jumped up from the bench and pulled open the door to the little booth. Then they ran to the edge of the train tracks. They both looked back and forth along the track until Ana spotted it.

"There!" She yelled and pointed toward a small light headed toward them. "The track is in use!"

She bounced on her feet and began waving at the train even though she knew it was too far away for anyone to see her yet.

Slowly the light grew bigger and Ana and Sam jumped and waved. Please let them see us. Ana thought. Please let them realize we need help.

The train whistle sounded again.

"Is it slowing down?" Sam asked incredulously, "Did they see us?"

It was surely impossible, but the train did seem to be slowing down. It squeaked its tracks and the whistle sounded again. Then it came to a stop in front of them.

Sam and Ana had taken a step back as the train approached. It was loud as it halted and the train's lights seemed so bright after hours in the dark. A woman in a dark blue coat jumped off the train as soon as it stopped.

"Hey there!" Her voice was friendly and perky. She sounded a bit like someone trying to calm a barking dog. "You two are a long way from anything. Are you lost?"

Sam stepped forward. His hand held Ana's and he pulled her behind him. "Yes, Ma'am."

The woman smiled kindly. "It's freezing. Are you alone?"

Sam answered again, "We were camping. We got lost and we can't find our way back. Would you mind calling someone? Like a forest ranger or something? Our grandmother must be freaking out."

"Of course! We'll radio the rangers. Come on, we'll take you to town."

"Really?" Sam asked. "We don't have any money."

"Well, I'm not going to leave you two to freeze to death in the forest." The woman laughed, "Come on. We've got plenty of room and we'll get you out of the cold and get you some food. I'm Cammy." She held out her hand.

Ana and Sam moved to her and shook her hand. "I'm Sam and this is my sister Analise."

"Welcome, Sam and Analise, let's get aboard."

She gestured for them to climb aboard the train and then shut the door behind them. Almost as soon as they were in, the train began to move again.

Cammy gestured for them to follow her. "Come on kids. Let's find you someplace warm to sit and then I'll find you some food."

"Thank you so much," Ana breathed.

Cammy smiled at her and tilted her head to the side. "I can honestly say that it is my pleasure, Analise."