iii. good nights and goodbyes

❛𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨,𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘨𝘰❜

"It's getting late." Sirius whispered to the boy who was still swaying on the dance floor with a girl wrapped around his arms.

James glanced down at his watch and nodded, looking down at the girl who had her head on his chest to see if she was awake.

"You awake, sunshine?"

"Mhm." Gracie mumbled. "It's getting late, aren't you going home?" James questioned,

"I should, 'M getting really sleepy." she yawned, finally pulled away from his chest, "My flat's just a few blocks down, I'm just gonna walk back home."

"Are you going home alone?" Concern was laced on his tone, "Mhm."

"You shouldn't walk back home alone, it's not safe, I'll walk you back, c'mon." James told the girl, pulling her away from the dance floor.

"You don't have to, really. I'll be fine." She waved him off, not wanting to burden him.

"S'okay, I'll walk you back, my hotel's not far from here."

"Are you sure?" She mumbled, holding back a yawn. "Yeah, let me talk to Sirius for one second."

"M'kay, gotta go to the bathroom anyways." Gracie told him, "I'll see you on the front door."

James then watched as the girl went to the nearest loo and he stalked off to find his best friend or his parents. He caught sight of Sirius first who was standing beside the exit, as he was not too far, James quickly walked over to him.

"You can go home without me yeah? I'm gonna go walk Gracie home." He informed Sirius,

His eyebrows shot up in surprise, he offered James a suggestive look, "I see what's happening."

"Not like that, Pads." James rolled his eyes, "She's going home alone and it's not safe for a lady to walk home alone at night."

"Mhm. Sure." Sirius nodded along, "Anyways, can you tell Mum and Dad? I'll get back to the hotel right after." James told him as his eyes met with the girl who was now walking towards him.

"Alright." Sirius nodded, just as Gracie arrived in front of them. "It was a pleasure meeting you Gracie, have a good night."

"It was nice meeting you, Sirius." Gracie offered the boy a smile.

He sent the girl a genuine smile before whispering to James,

"Use protection."

James immediately flushed and kicked his leg as Sirius walked away from the two with a smirk on his face. He turned towards the girl and offered his arm, "Shall we?"

"We shall." Gracie took his arm and chuckled lightly.

The two exited the building, walking towards Gracie's flat.

❛𝘪'𝘮 𝘸𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘤𝘬,𝘣𝘭𝘶𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘦❜

"I don't think I've told you this, but you're beautiful." James said all of a sudden, causing the girl to widen her eyes and her cheeks to flush.

She cleared her throat and tried so hard to push the warm feeling away, "Thank you." She mumbled,

"So how long are you staying in America?"

"I'm leaving tomorrow, actually." James pursed his lips, not exactly pleased with the thought.

If anyone asked him a few hours ago how he felt about going back home to Britain, then to Hogwarts, he'd be telling them how excited he was to be back home for his last year in Hogwarts. But after meeting Gracie, he became much less enthusiastic than he was earlier.

"Oh." came out of her mouth. "Well I hope you have a safe trip." She told him with much less energy in her.

James decided to change the topic by asking, "So you live alone?"

"Mhm." She hummed the answer, "Just moved out of my parents house a month ago, actually. Wanted to start living as an independent woman."

"How old are you, again? I know that's not an appropriate question, sorry." James grimaced at his own question.

"It's fine, James, really." She chuckled. "I just turned seventeen last week."

21st August, James noted,

He nodded in understanding, in Britain, teenagers who are sixteen or above, are allowed to live on their own, so he assumed it was the same here in America.

"Well, happy late birthday pretty girl." James looked at her with a smile.

Gracie ducked her head down, unable to contain both the blush and wide smile on her face when called her that.

"Thank you." She replied shyly.

They were getting closer and closer to her flat, and neither wanted to part ways from the other. Just as they passed the sign Doyers Street, their steps slowed down.

"We're almost there." Gracie informed him, "and here we are."

They came to a stop in front of her flat, just under the stairs. There was a brief moment of silence between them, just smiling lightly at each other.

"I had a great time, James. All thanks to you." She chuckled,

"I had an amazing time as well." James told the girl, shuffling nervously. "So I guess this is it.."

"It was really nice to meet you." The girl told the boy sincerely, "Hope we can see each other again some day."

"You as well, Gracie." James smiled, "Um-- can I- write to you?" He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Of course!" Gracie beamed excitedly, before clearing her throat, "I mean, of course." She said in a much calmer manner.

"Great!" James beamed happily, "You know my address." Gracie pointed to the sign beside her. Luckily her flat was a private residence.

Doyers Street 27, NYC

"Gracie Jones, Doyers Street 27. Noted." James chuckled,

"Well, I guess this is goodbye?" James asked awkwardly. "I guess it is." Gracie replied.

She contemplated her next actions for a few moments before she thought, fuck it.

She decided to kiss his cheek and quickly walk up the stairs, "Have a good night, James."

Offering him one last smile, she closed the door behind her.