Chapter 7: Saying goodbye

Start from the beginning

"Well, er..."

I sighed. "We don't know how-"

"To get on platform 9 3/4?" The woman finished for me, eyeing Hedwig, Harry's owl.

"Yes." Harry and I said in unison, relieved.

"Oh don't worry, it's really easy dears," she said. "You just have to walk through the wall between platforms 9 and 10," she said.

I gaped at her. She must be insane.

"I-I'm sorry?" Harry asked.

"It's best to do it at a bit of a run, if you're nervous," the woman said assuring.

Harry nodded and I sighed.

Why is he so thick and believing? Didn't he learn anything from our time at the Dursleys?

"It's Ron's first year too," the woman continued and I made eye contact with the boy.

He smiled at us shyly and I waved at them lightly.

Ron stepped forward and Harry and Ron decided to walk together.

Harry ushered me to come too, but I told him to go.

"You can walk with me, if you'd like to!" The girl piped up. "I go to Hogwarts next year."

I smiled and quietly replied: "yeah, me too."

I was taken aback by my own shyness. I was never shy!

The girl seemed to sense this, but didn't give up yet.

"We should go," she said, taking my arm and dragging me with her to the wall.

I flinched away at first, but I actually really appreciated how this strange girl tried to get me to come through, so I let it be.

Before I even knew what we were doing, we stood on what I supposed was 'the other side of the wall'.

This was a place, clearly hidden from the muggles, only crowded with witches and wizards. And then there was the train, already waiting. And the sign.

Platform 9 3/4.

I laughed out loud out of relief. It had been some time ago I actually laughed like this, but I felt great.

Harry and Ron neared us, followed by the rest of Ron and the girl's family.

Harry motioned me over and we seperated from the family, thanking them for their help again.

"I'm gonna miss you kid," Harry said, sounding a bit hoarse.

I sighed, forcing myself not to think of how a year alone at the Dursleys was gonna be.

"Harry, don't you dare miss me too much," I said strictly, trying to get through to him. "You will have a great time, make friends and get a real family there. Don't you let missing me stand in the way. Understood?"

Harry swallowed audibly, but before he could talk back, I gave him an encouraging hug.

"You'll be fine there," I said, mostly to try to boost his confidence. Funny how I got to do that, while not even 10 minutes ago, I'd acted like a small, 6-year-old, shy girl.

"What about you?" He asked and I felt my stomach turn.

"Harry, don't worry about that. I'll defend myself if needed, you know I can do that."

I tried to convince both of us on that bit. How could I properly defend myself against the big, strong and mean Uncle Vernon, if I couldn't even be my lively self around other kids?