SIXTEEN

After both Lexie and Max finally got their dresses picked and paid for, they merrily trotted down the rest of Oxford Street to find their favourite burger joint for lunch. Shopping had worked up Max's appetite, although she couldn't decide if it was her morning with a green eyed boy that could really be to blame.

"So what's even been going on?" Lexie asked as soon as they were seated. "You literally came to work for five seconds the other day and you've basically been AWOL the whole time."

Max focused her eyes down onto her menu.

"Um. Well. I don't know, really. Just the Harry Styles usual."

Lexie slammed her hands down on the table, "The usual?! This is not the usual."

Max just shrugged at her best friend. She knew it wasn't the usual. She knew that Harry staying around like this was the most atypical thing he'd done in years, but what did that matter? He had explained he was staying at a hotel right now, so surely it made sense that he'd spend a few nights with her. And he was staying longer, this time. It was just a matter of favourable scheduling. No more than circumstance.

"And? He's staying in a hotel to write music. It makes sense he'd rather be at my place for a couple of days."

"Er, does it?" Lexie looked at Max like she wanted to shake her. "Max, he could stay anywhere he wants he's Harry fucking Styles and-"

"Shh," Max interrupted, glancing around to make sure no one near could hear their conversation.

"Sorry sorry, I just meant that-," Lexie leaned in close over the table, "I just meant that this is weird, Max. Harry hasn't stayed for more than a night in what- like- 6 months?"

"Years," Max interjected with a sigh. "Fucking years."

She leaned back in her seat and found herself shaking her head at her best friend. She didn't know what to say.

She knew this was strange. Knew that Harry staying over for more than a night was absolutely out of the ordinary- but that was to do with his schedule.

He had always had to leave.

This time he got to stay.

It was simple. There was nothing else to it, and Max knew that well enough.

"So what, Lexie? He's staying longer in London than he's ever been allowed to before. That's it."

"Is it, though?"

Lexie looked like she wanted to say something more but a waiter came over to interrupt them. They'd already decided to split a bottle of wine because fuck it it was Saturday and fuck it Max needed a drink.

"And to eat?" The young waiter smiled down at the pair.

"Two cheeseburgers. Both with no mayo. Both with slaw," Lexie answered in her typical no-nonsense Lexie way, and handed the waiter their menus. As soon as he was gone her blue eyes found Max again who found herself praying their drinks would arrive soon.

"Max. I'm just worried about you. I don't want you to get hurt."

"Why would I get hurt?" Max shot back immediately, as if it were instinct. She felt suddenly defensive. Felt like something heavy was suddenly weighing her down.

"Max," Lexie raised an eyebrow at her across the table. "Really?" Her voice had softened.

No longer was it the slightly terrifying confrontational dragon-Lexie, but now Max's best friend was looking at her with soft eyes. Her hard expression had melted off her face and she reached a pale hand out to hold Max's own.