prologue

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

IT WAS THE WORST NIGHT of Ginevra Salvatore's life. It was 1864. It was dark and loud outside. The girl tried to keep herself busy inside her home, but she could hear the screaming and it was distracting her. She didn't exactly know what was happening, but her father told her to stay inside or bad things would happen, and she obeyed him, like she always did. Until, she heard two gunshots and realized her brothers were nowhere to be found.

Making a quick, and impulsive decision, Ginevra ran out of her home, in her nightgown, looking for the brothers. She knew something bad happened to them. Maybe it was her witch instincts, or maybe it was just because she knew them so well, and knew how devoted they were to the manipulative, Katherine Pierce, who she had found out earlier in the week, was a vampire.

When Ginevra saw two familiar bodies laying lifeless on the road, she felt her legs shake, almost giving out under her. But she pushed through, toward the bodies, and when she saw their faces... her legs finally gave out. She collapsed on the dirt, jaw dropped.

"No, no, no, no, no." Ginevra whispered, surveying her older brother, Damon's, face.

She knew he was dead when the blood from his gunshot wound bled onto her white nightgown. She shook her head refusing to believe he was dead. She crawled a few inches over to Stefan, seeing the same thing. Another dead, lifeless brother, with a gunshot wound.

The brunette woman put her bloody hand on her chest, feeling the shaky breaths come out of her lungs. "No, this is not happening. It's not happening, you're not dead. You cannot be, no, no, no..." She trailed off, feeling hot tears slide down her cheeks.

She shook Stefan's shoulders, manically. "Stefan! Stefan! Please! Stef- Stefan! No!"

She knew it was a waste of time. They were dead, but that still didn't stop her from crawling back over to Damon, shaking his shoulders. "Damon. Come on, get up! No, no, no, no." She backed a couple inches away from them, sobbing, hysterically. She could barely get enough air. "You... cannot leave me! Do not...leave me alone! Not with father! Please..."

Her mind raced with thoughts of who could've done this, who could've killed the only two people who cared about her. Her mind instantly went to Katherine, but she knew that Katherine wouldn't kill them with a gun. She was a vampire for God's sake! That's when Ginevra remembered her father talking to someone in the foyer, the day before. She couldn't tell who it was through the dim candlelight whilst hiding behind the staircase, but he was talking about 'cleansing the town', and 'the time had come'.

Was that conversation about Katherine? Were there more vampires in Mystic Falls? Did her father mistake Stefan and Damon for vampires in the dark moonlight and accidentally kill them?

Ginevra searched her brain for any spell that could reawaken the dead, but she didn't know any. Or if there was one at all.

Before her mother passed, she gave her seven-year-old daughter a tiny book filled with spells called a grimoire and a pendant with a forest green stone in the middle. She told Ginevra that she could siphon magic from her necklace and perform incantations in the book. Then she mentioned to her that she could never tell anyone about her powers. That was it. No other information.