Above The Law (Part 2) | "I'll find you!"

Start from the beginning

Emma: Hey, come on, AJ.

Clementine gave me a pointed look, like the one from the abandoned bus, and we got to work, joining together to hum him a perfect rhythm. After a few seconds, AJ quietened down, eyes still bleary.

Clementine: Just like that, little guy.

I nodded before looking back down at the piece of paper, reading the word “VANCOMYCIN” written in the doctor’s messy scrawl. It took me a bit of time, but after rummaging through the cupboard enough, I brought out a vial of what we were looking for.

Emma: Here it is. Oh, shit… It needs to be a shot.

I looked to Clementine who gave me a nervous look, but we both knew it needed to be done. Sighing, I took a syringe, making sure it was clean before inserting it into the file and taking out enough to help.

Clementine: Okay, hang in there, goofball. This is gonna get you better.

Emma: We’re gonna need you to be the strong boy you are, alright, cowboy?

I went to inject AJ, but there was the sound of a heavy breath and a rustle of clothes, and Clementine and I turned our heads, finding Lingard waking up, eyes red and bloodshot.

Lingard: Emma… Clem…

Clementine: Dr. Lingard…? What happened? Are you okay?

Lingard: I’m… I’m fine… Emma, please don’t. The vancomycin – that’s the last of it. It’ll be a waste on AJ. I told both of you, it could save someone’s life if used right. It’s too valuable to throw away.

Emma: You don’t fucking know that, though, do you?

Lingard: Sadly, I do. It’s my curse.

Clementine: Your curse?

Lingard: Knowing when someone’s gonna die. I’m sorry, you two… I tried everything. I really did.

Emma: But this could help him. It could save him.

Lingard: Nothing can help your boy now. Oh, kids. Put the drugs back, before anyone finds out you took them. You know what they do to thieves here. There’s still time…

Emma: No, no. You don’t know shit. We have to try.

I looked at Clementine and she had the same determined look as me. She turned to AJ, holding his small hand in her own, comforting him for what was to come.

Clementine: Come on, goofball. I need you to listen to Emma and be strong for us, okay? Shh. See? It’s not so bad.

I carefully injected the medicine into his arm, but as I did he started to cry, making me worry, but I kept my hand steady, pushing the vancomycin in before taking it out, smoothing over the mark on his upper arm.

Emma: AJ, shh!

But it was too late. There was a hurry of footsteps from the fire, and David appeared above us.

David: What the hell is this?

Lingard: They… I told them it was a bad idea!

David: You fucking high again? Pull yourself together before the others see you! Deal with the damn kid!

He then turned his anger to me and Clementine, eyebrows furrowed.