"Yeah, Damon?"

He nodded, swallowing hard. His adam's apple moved. All I could think of was how beautiful he was. "So I was thinking uh, homecoming" he paused, trying to find the words, "would you like to go with me?"

My lips parted, I had definitely not anticipated that.

"You and me?" I asked, hesitantly.

"Yeah, a date. Go with me?" this time, he made it seem like it wasn't a question.

"I'd love to."

He immediately relaxed, his broad shoulders dropped and the smallest of smiles played at his lips.

"Yeah?" He said, as if he didn't believe me.

I laughed, "Yes"

He nodded, huffing out a small chuckle, "Okay."

I had the urge to ask him, the question I've been practicing in my head, "Hey um, do you want to eat lunch with me?" I made a pause, waiting for him to answer. He just stared, so I elaborated, "My friends are have um debate club practice right now so usually I eat alone outside. It's fine if you don't want to, I don't know why I said th-"

"Yes."

"What?"

"I'd like that. A lot."

And so it happened. We ate lunch together and that's when I learnt that he was in fact not much of a talker. I didn't mind nor did I take it personal. I understood it and quite frankly was happy because I talked a lot.

So it was our thing, we'd eat lunch together outside on the bleachers. I'd talk, he'd simply listen

Then Homecoming came around. That night, I remembered looking at myself in the mirror and feeling so... happy. I was excited. The butterflies fluttered. Whenever I thought of him, my heart skipped a beat.

Now my heart ached as I stared at myself in the mirror of the changing room and wiped away a tear that had slipped.

A small pit of dread formed in my stomach as I thought about what he could be doing.

Was he all right?

I shook away the thoughts and applied the finishing touch to complete my look, lipgloss.

I closed it once I was finished and met my gaze in the mirror. Giving myself a mental people talk.

It'll be fine. I'll do great. I always do.

I smiled to my reflection and nodded, satisfied.

Whatever happens, the show must go on.

I exited the change room and joined the rest of my class backstage.

"Are you ready?" Sloan asked. We've been in the same studio since fourth grade.

I've been dancing since second and fell in love with it.

I felt at ease whenever I danced, even on stage. Because when I danced, the world around me disappeared and I felt like myself.

"Definitely. You?" I did a few stretches.

"Always."

"Alright ladies. From the top. Mark it once then full out." Lexi, our coach instructed.

We all got into position and walked through the choreography, making sure we knew everything.

I knew it didn't have to be perfect, we just had to perform. Even after all the hours of practice, nothing was perfect, it was simply performance.

Then we did it full out, one last time before we'd get out there.