CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO: School's Out

Exams were finally over, and after a pretty spectacular night with Hermione, all I wanted to do was relax and let myself be happy. So, after dinner I left the castle and chilled out beside the lake with Steve. Umbridge was invigilating the O.W.L defence against the dark arts exam, so it was quite safe for me to bring her with me, although I did have to hide her in my satchel just in case. As soon as we had gotten far enough away from the castle though, she leaped out of the bag and galloped gracefully down to the lake, where Luna Lovegood stood up to her knees in the water, ticking the Giant Squid's tentacles. Steve stood at the shore mewling loudly, and once Luna saw her, she begun to wade towards us. "Good afternoon, (Y/N)," she smiled, drying off her feet before pulling on her socks and shoes, "and you Steve." Her slender hand reached down towards my cat and stroked her between the ears gently.

"Hello, Luna," I greeted, "excited to go home this weekend?" She nodded her head and sat down on the grass cross-legged as I leaned against a tree and slid down to the ground. I reached into my bag and pulled out a box of every-flavour beans, holding out the carton in her direction.

"Thank you," she smiled, taking a few and popping them in her mouth, "it's fun to mix the flavours," she said, "makes the earwax ones taste a little less disgusting."

"I'll have to try it," I replied, only taking one, which I predicted would be mint. It turned out to be apple, but I wasn't too dissatisfied. Luna Lovegood pulled out a stack of papers which had been fastened together with multi-coloured cotter pins and handed it to me.

"Dad did an interview with Felix Rosier on Vipertooths," she explained as I began flicking through the pages, "I remember you getting bit by that one last year, so thought you might have been interested in reading it."

The Vipertooth bite was one of the most painful things I'd ever experienced, although it was nothing compared to being subjected to the cruciatus curse or being bitten by a werewolf. It was strange to think about the Triwizard Tournament now. So much had changed. I had to take potions every day for a week every single month so I wouldn't attack everyone, my body resembled Steve's scratching post, and Hermione Granger loved me.

"Thank you," I told her, meeting her protuberant silver-blue eyes, "how have you been anyway?"

"I miss the DA," Luna frowned, "it was like having friends."

"You do have friends, or at least I hope you're my friend," I said, stretching out my legs in front of me. Staying up all night and sleeping on the settee in the Gryffindor Common Room didn't seem like such a good idea now.

Luna grinned, "You're my friend," she said, as though forcing herself to believe her own words. I smiled; I liked being friends with Luna. We'd never talked before the start of the year, so in her eyes I hadn't changed.

The conversation died down, but I didn't mind, it was just nice sitting in the sun, reading and enjoying Luna's company. I'd almost reached the last chapter when our heads whipped around to face the castle where explosions begun to ring throughout the air. Bright colours flashed across the sky, and with them two little figures flying among the chaos. "I wonder if that's Fred and George Weasley," Luna said dreamily, as though she were hypnotised by the lights, "I saw the two of them carrying rockets up from the dungeons this morning.

"I suppose that's why they needed their brooms," I said, it made a little more sense now. I was keen to see what it was they were doing, and how it was most likely infuriating Professor Umbridge. "Should we go have a walk up and see?" I asked Luna hopefully, and she nodded, letting out a small 'mhm'. The two of us had only just stood up when the DA coin in Luna's pocket began to warm up. She pulled it out and we saw the time on it read three o'clock. "That's now," I stated, checking my watch "I wonder if it's an accident." Even still I picked up Steve and picked up the speed.