Ties That Bind Pt.2 (Part 3) | "On their best behaviour."

Start from the beginning

Conrad: Not convenient at all, if you ask me.

Some walkers began to approach us at the sound of the car engine and our voices. I moved forward, taking some of my remaining anger out on the walker, using my knife to first stab it in the chest multiple times and then finally the skull. Clementine and Conrad took out some of the others, and then Clem looked at me, eyebrows furrowed with worry.

Clementine: Are you okay?

She asked me quietly and I turned away, not wanting to look her in the eye when I lied.

Emma: Yeah. I’m fine.

I moved away from her, searching for more walkers so I could take out my pain.

Javier: If we move that car right there, we should be good. C’mon, let’s get to work and clear it out.

Sighing, I found a box and I sat down, putting my head in my hands. Clementine wandered close by, glancing ever so often with confusion and concern. Gabe tried to distract her, asking her questions about her and explaining things from his past, so I turned away, holding my stomach painfully. Mariana saw me and walked over, sitting down beside me.

Mariana: Are you okay?

Emma: I think I’ve just got a stomach ache.

Mariana: Oh, okay. You just look… sad.

Emma: It’s nothing… just happens sometimes.

I sent her a small smile and she returned it with a slight nod.

Mariana: I could tell you that story my mom used to tell to me and Gabe, but I still don’t exactly remember the ending…

Emma: I’d like that.

She smiled broadly, clearing her throat quickly.

Mariana: There were these two tigers, both quick, both agile. They were strong. They could survive out in the wilderness. But they were odd because unlike other tigers… they didn’t like eating other animals. Instead, they made the other animals their friends. They had a lot of friends and they always protected them, no matter what. But one day, hunters made their way into their jungle, and their goal was to kill. They took their friends, all of them, but the two tigers were too strong for the hunters, so they escaped. However, in their escape, they got split up. They didn’t find each other until years later, but now they were older. Their fur was matted and worn, some parts turning gray, yet they recognised each other. But it was that day the hunters decided to come back, now more prepared for the tigers. They took one hostage, trapping it in a net and tranquilizing it. The other tiger fought, but… And that’s where I remember, my mom would always tell the ending really dramatically, but it sucks. I thought I’d always be able to remember it because it was so stupid.

Emma: Huh…

I couldn’t help but feel the story was familiar… like it was true. I mean, not the tigers, but it's a metaphor for something.

Emma: Why don’t you just make up your own ending?

Mariana: Oh… true. I never thought of that. I guess I should get to work.

Emma: I guess you should.

I looked away from the girl, seeing Clementine ignoring Gabe again, her eyes on me with an indescribable expression on her face.

Looking away, I saw Javier turning on a winch that pulled the wrecked car out from under the pass.

Javier: Hey, there we go. I think we’re set.