Chapter Eight

I was swooning over Nate while writing this chapter :') I just love his character here!! I'd die to be Sam right now..

There's a heck of a #sate action goin on here hihi

Happy reading yaaa'll :) x

When Nate parked in the driveway, I noticed that my mother's car was parked in the garage. That only meant one thing.. My mother was actually home. She'd usually come home at around 2 o'clock, sleep for like a few hours then leave before I wake up. Her being at home at this time was really rare.

Nate and I shared looks for a while. "Your mom's home?"

I nodded my head. "It's been so long.. You have no idea."

The door was unlocked when I opened it. I heard chattering and laughter coming from the kitchen. She wasn't alone.. Nate and I followed the noise and saw my mother cooking along with a man a few inches taller than her.

"Samantha, darling you're here!" My mother said as she hugged me. I didn't even have the urge to hug her back. It was that awkward between us.

She glanced at Nate and then at me. "You've brought your boyfriend? Hello again, Nate darling." I didn't smell alcohol coming from her breath which meant that she actually wasn't drunk.

"Uhm we aren't-" whoops.

"Hello, Mrs. Harrison." Nate cut me off and shook my mother's hand. He gave me a little scowl afterwards.

I tucked my hands in my pockets and didn't realize that they've balled into fists. "So mom, who's this?" I looked at the man who was smiling at all of us.

My mother gave him a look of adoration. Oh gosh. "This is Cameron. He's my boyfriend." She said, placing her palm on his chest.

I knew I had that coming but that didn't stop me from looking at her in disbelief. "Hello, Cameron." I said as politely as I could.

"Hello, Samantha. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Hmm likewise."

He looked at Nate and his mouth was set on a grim line. "I know I'm not your father or anything but you better be treating her right, Nate. Or else." Cameron said playfully.

What the fuck?! Nate and I exchanged glances as my mom laughed at Cameron's 'funny' joke. Yup, my mother was whipped for the first time in years. I want her to be happy and all but everyone knows how this is going to end.. My mother just had to accept the fact that she really isn't capable of having a partner. No matter how many relationships she tries to have, they all go in a downward spiral. I felt bad for her.

On the bright side though, she had stopped drinking! I guess that was the only good thing about this whole thing she has with Cameron. I wasn't sure whether I liked him or not but as long as my mother was happy, I guess I had to be too. For her, at least.

Annoyed at Cameron's side comment, I decided to dismiss ourselves. "Yeah, mom Nate and I will be upstairs!"

As we were walking up the stairs, mom called after me. "What do you want for dinner dear?"

I looked at her in shock. "You're cooking dinner?" Who in the world is this woman?

"Of course, honey." My mother said, with a sheepish grin.

"Anything's fine I guess."

That was a complete shock for me. My mother hasn't been like that since her ex husband cheated on her and then left her. Honestly, I missed it and I was glad to have her old self back. I just hoped that it wasn't going to be temporary. Cameron, please hold on to her..