Ties That Bind Pt.1 (Part 6) | "You're a survivor, Princess."

Start from the beginning

Kenny: Not bad at all. Especially for a first time. You just… gotta ease up off the clutch a little smoother, alright? You don’t have to make the switch all at once.

Emma: I got it. Anyway, why do we have to learn stick? Can’t we just take an automatic, they’re all free…

Kenny: No, we can not. Every car out there ain’t gonna be automatic. You both need to be able to drive whatever you find keys for. And once we get down to Florida, we’ll ditch the wheels, and I’ll make a sailor outta the both of you, mark my words. You, too, buddy!

AJ gave a small line of nonsense back, making my dad look back to the road with a sigh and a shake of his head.

Kenny: I just can’t get him to talk. It’s unusual for his age.

Clementine: Well, the heater’s broken, he’s cold.

Emma: Well, he’s got that bandana…

Kenny: Why’d you take that for him, anyway?

Emma: I was making him into a cowboy, dad.

They both chuckled, AJ looking between them with confusion, but joining in at the sound of joy.

Clementine: Of course, that’s why you did it.

Emma: He’s my little cowboy.

Kenny: You’re gonna teach him how to shoot as good as you?

Emma: He’s gonna be better. He’ll have the fastest draw in the whole United States of America.

Clementine: We’ll see…

Kenny: Only makes sense to head for Florida sooner than later. Gonna see some old places, eh, Emma? Might find that rest stop that Emma…

Emma: Can we not tell that story while I’m learning to drive? I might crash to get out of the embarrassment.

Kenny: Oh, we can’t have that. But we’ll be leaving all this snow behind, right? Be like summer every day. Hell, I’m gonna have to find me some shorts!

Emma: That’s gonna be a look.

Clementine: Not sure if I’m prepared. But, the sooner, the better, for sure.

Kenny: No more winters ever again, girls! I’ll teach AJ how to fish, how to swim. We’ll watch the sunrise every morning. All four of us. But we ain’t gettin’ nowhere doing twenty-five miles an hour. Shift her into third. Let’s get her really cookin’.

I did as I was told, pushing it gentler this time, trying to follow dad’s instructions. The car’s engine spiked, the wheels turning faster and the scenery around us blurring.

Kenny: Well, there you go, Emma! Time we get to Florida, you’ll be a better driver than me!

Emma: I don’t think that’s hard to beat.

Kenny: Come off it. Seriously… I’m proud of both of you.

Clementine: Hey, we really appreciate you teaching us.

Emma: Yeah, dad. Seems almost normal.

Kenny: You know, I… I always dreamed about the day I’d teach you and Duck to drive. Now that I’m actually doin’ it… Hell, I’m happy. You're the best second chance I could’ve asked for, Clem.