Try to Understand

(Leila's POV)

My mind was racing. What the hell do I say to the entire school and guests. I was in my mind I didn't even hear Professor McGonagall say my name. 

"Leila?" I snapped out of it.

"Oh um..." I walked over to the center stage. I cleared my throat slightly before beginning.

"I'm not quite sure what to say...I'm not very good with words...I know most of you do not really know who I am..." I heard chuckling from the crowd. "But I uh... you know what? I may not be very good at words, but I am kind of good at lyrics." I walked away from center stage and looked around at the stage. A grand piano. Amazing. I sat down on the bench and cleared my throat quietly one last time. I stared down at the keys unsure of what to play. I decided to let my hands decide and began

I had a dream, I got everything I wanted. Not what you'd think and if I'm being honest, it might've been a nightmare to anyone who might care. Thought I could fly, so I stepped off the castle. Nobody cried, nobody even noticed. I saw them standing right there, Kinda thought they might care." I didn't dare look out to the crowd. It was completely silent, I continued to sing.

"I had a dream, I got everything I wanted. But when I wake up, I see you with me. And you say, as long as I'm here, no one can hurt you, Don't wanna lie here, but you can learn to. If I could change the way that you see yourself, you wouldn't wonder why here. They don't deserve you."

I was pouring my heart and soul into this song. I wanted everyone to understand what I was going through, what I was feeling. 

"And it feels like yesterday was a year ago, but I don't wanna let anybody know. 'Cause everybody wants something from me now and I don't wanna let 'em down. If I knew it all then, would I do it again? Would I do it again? If they knew what they said would go straight to my head. What would they say instead?"

And with the last line, all I heard was silence. No one dared to move, no one dared to breathe. I stood up from the bench and looked down at the ground. Professor McGonagall put her hand on my shoulder.

"And with that.." She paused. "Let the ball begin.." She sounded unsure of what to say. The victors began exiting the stage, I followed. I scanned the room looking for the exit. The music began blaring loudly, almost shaking the ground. Everyone started dancing and having a good time

"Leila...!" I turned around at the sound of my name. Draco was weaving through the dancing bodies. 

"Please...I can't..." I took a deep breath. Draco moved slowly towards me, backed away. "Don't!" He stopped. 

"Leila..." He started.

"Just don't!" I backed away from him quickly, not paying attention to the people behind me.

"Woah there, tiger!" I turned around.

"Sorry!" I apologized and looked up at the person I had backed into. Cedric. I smiled.

"Leaving so soon?" He smiled at me.

"Yeah, I was just going."

"Care for a dance first." I crossed my arms.

"I thought you were here with Cho?" 

"She's dancing with her friends so..." He reached out his hand and I took it. I glanced behind me. Draco was staring at us. Cedric let us to the center of the dancefloor and we began dancing. I have to admit, Cedric was not much of a dancer, but he made it funny at least.

"You know I'm going to beat you right?" I joked with him.

"Oh, yeah right." We laughed together. I was actually having some fun. It was a nice distraction. 

As the night came to an end. People began finding their way out of the room. 

"Well, I might as well call it a night. Have to mentally prepare for tomorrow."

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea." A thought poked into my brain as we head out the door. 

"Hey, have you figured out the egg yet, Ced?" He was walking through the corridors with me, walking me back to the Gryffindor common room.

"Not yet. I need to do that." This was my opportunity to help him out this time. 

"You should take a bath, Ced." He scoffed looking at me hurt and I burst out laughing. 

"Excuse me?" I laughed even harder. 

"Put the egg underwater genius." I saw the realization on his face and that was even funnier. We stopped in front of the painting of the fat lady. "Well, this is me. Thanks for insuring I got here safely." I said sarcastically.

"Anything for my friend." He bowed jokingly and I giggled.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Ced." I waved at him as he walked backward away from me. I wondered why he always had to do that. I had to ask him before he...No I didn't want to think about that. 

I made my way up to the dorms. I shed my clothes off and put on a big T-shirt. I plopped onto the bed staring at the ceiling. Most everyone was asleep. My mind raced trying to devise a plan for the next few days. Suddenly something clicked.

I couldn't change Cedric dying. If he doesn't grab the cup with me, I'll die anyway. If Dumbledore doesn't die, he won't leave the stone for me. That realization shook my body. I rolled over sliding into the covers. Letting Draco go changed nothing. Might even make things worse for me.  

I closed my eyes as a tear slid down my face. I had to accept the things I couldn't change. I had to look at the good that will come out of my future. The people I will actually save. I thought of Draco.

He didn't want to be bad because of me. For me. Now that I'm not in the picture will he still choose the same? I couldn't do anything about that now. The darkness swallowed me whole as I fell asleep.