|1| My Eighteenth Birthday

|Story Start|

|Rosalie Burns|

What a horrible way to start off my eighteenth birthday. 

Today was April 3rd. I was turning 18 today, the legal age to start hunting. When you're under 18 you can kill the jailbirds for practice but you can’t go on a real hunt. You see my family comes from a long line of werewolf, also known as shifters, hunters. We are the Burns family the most respected and highest family in the hunter community. I’ve been trained my whole life to kill a werewolf, I knew all the hunting secrets, how to use all the weapons and everything there is to know about the shifter race. Now that I’m 18 my father thought that taking me out for my first hunt would be an awesome birthday present.

He was mistaken. 

I hated being a hunter, I didn’t understand why we did it in the first place. I mean I understand if they attacked us first but most of the time it’s us who starts the fighting. My father mostly went after rogues and occasionally a pack. So my father gathered a bunch of hunters together to celebrate this ‘wonderful’ moment by going and attacking one of the strongest packs in the U.S. There had been so much planning that had been involved months before my birthday so things would be absolutely perfect. We were attacking the Lunar Eclipse Pack which was the… I think the second strongest or the strongest pack in the U.S.

I felt like this was going to be a big mistake and that something bad was going to happen. I just didn’t know what. I let out a sigh, this isn’t how I wanted to spend my birthday. I really wanted to get out of hunting world but I couldn’t do that to my father he already lost my mother I don't even want to think about how hard he would take me being gone as well. A few years ago my mother, Esther, had been killed by a rogue wolf and ever since then my father has thrown himself even more passionately into hunting, bringing me along for the unfortunate ride.

I absolutely hated the concept of killing some one even if they were a different species.

I was sitting in the kitchen and my father walked in and began to hand me my freshly polished weapons, there was a gun filled with silver bullets, a small silver knife that had been dipped with a poison that would kill a shifter in a mere 2 hours at most, which would be hidden in my boot, and the last one was hiding in a small leather case. I didn't know what was in here so I raised a brow at my dad and he gave me a toothy grin. I could practically see the happiness that was being radiated off of him, he put a hand on my back and led me towards the living room. I gave one last look at my delicious strawberry-chocolate milkshake before abandoning it on the kitchen counter. 

We sat across from each other on the couch and he took out the leather bound item. I let out a surprised gasp; he was giving me the family dagger. I couldn’t believe it, this dagger has been passed down from generation after generation of the Burns hunter line. I thought for sure my father would have kept it until he had a son, but I guess that was impossible since my mother had passed and he refused to have another women in his life, besides me of course.

Even though this was such an accomplishment, in fact this was the highest honor a Burns hunter could get, I didn’t want it. The dagger came with so much responsibility that I just wasn't ready to take on. I would become the head of the family and start leading attacks, I couldn’t do that! I’ve never even killed a werewolf before while other’s who were younger than me have had multiple kills. They killed the locked up rouges as practice, it was such a harsh and horrible way to kill some one and I just couldn’t do it. I usually found a way to get out of the raids but this time I knew I couldn’t and I didn’t know what I was going to do about it.