Ties That Bind Pt.1 (Part 5) | "You're definitely a survivor."

Start from the beginning

Clementine: Me neither.

She then dropped my hand and turned to Javier, a thankful glint in her eyes.

Clementine: Thank you, too. That was, um… that was cool of you.

Javier: Of course, anytime. I mean, you, Emma and me, we’re a team now.

Clementine: Thanks. I mean it. Just… don’t think this makes us friends or anything.

He nodded with a slight smile, not sure how else to react. Clementine nodded back, laying down, me sitting beside her and Javier leaning up against the bars. A woman approached the cell, an unsure look on her face.

Woman: Hello?

She unlocked the door, letting herself in and caught sight of mine and Javi’s injuries.

Eleanor: I’m Eleanor. I’m what passes for a doctor around here. But Tripp sort of overdoes it sometimes. I hate that I’m treating you both in a cage, like you’re some feral animals…

Javier: Javier. Pleasure’s all mine.

Eleanor: Is it now?

I got up from my position, rolling my eyes at Javier.

Emma: Name’s Emma. That was just Javi’s horrible way of flirting.

Eleanor: Smooth.

Javier: I– I wasn’t–

Emma: He’s sweet, really.

Eleanor: Nice to know. Now, let’s see about those wounds.

She started on Javi, letting me sit back down on the floor with Clem, while Javi sat on the bed with Eleanor leaning over his head.

Eleanor: Yeah, he got you good.

She pulled a rag out, cleaning out the wound.

Eleanor: Try to hold still. Why is it always the pretty ones who end up causing the most trouble? As if good looks equal bad behavior or something. I’ve never understood it.

Looking over at me, she gave me a teasing smile and I winked back. I had to admit the lady was attractive.

Javier: Yeah, well, it takes one to know one.

Eleanor: One… what?

Javier: One pretty troublemaker.

She laughed at him, nodding slightly.

Eleanor: Emma was right, you’re pretty horrible at flirting.

Javier just sighed, turning red while I laughed. Eleanor leaned closer to Javi, but her voice was pretty clear in the small proximity. Her words made Clementine tense, then she laid and turned her head away, but I put a hand on her arm, stroking my thumb across her wrist.

Eleanor: People are saying she killed a man in cold blood. If you don’t mind me asking… what did happen, exactly? That they were arguing, and then she went crazy over nothing?

Javier: That guy had it coming. Believe me. Karma, justice, you call it whatever you want. Fuck that bastard.

Eleanor: Hey, okay. If you say so.

She finished up with Javi, looking over to me and gestured for me to push up my sleeve. I decided to just take off my jacket, making it easier, but then all my arms were for show. The amount of scars I had accumulated over the years made me shudder, but the most vivid was the dog bite.