Chapter 6: The Trost Attack

Year 850.

I had been a soldier for 5 years now. Everything went well. I became second in command of the Special Operation Squad, which I was really proud of. I got along with everyone, and I became a true friend to Levi. I had deep feelings for him, but I decided to ignore them as I was pretty sure that it was one-sided.

Greg also accepted that Petra did not share the same feelings. It seemed that she fell for Oluo, which I honestly did not understand as he was annoying, not the hot type and tried to imitate Levi's personality. He was still a close friend of mine, but sometimes I just wanted to punch him in the face.

We were on the 56th expedition. We covered more ground over the years, but it took sweat, tears and a lot of blood to get there. There was still a long way to Shiganshina, but we did our best.

I heard screams of pain and rushed to the sound. I saw Mikael, a member of my squad, trapped between a titan's teeth. I was about to rescue him when Levi beat me to it. The titan fell, my comrade still in its mouth. I quickly ran to Mikael along with Petra. The wounds around his waist were gushing blood. I knew that he would not make it. There was no way we could treat such damage, his vital organs were probably crushed. We still tried. Levi came down a few minutes later.

"Captain! I... I can't stop the bleeding." Petra stuttered.

Levi's face darkened.

"Cap..tain." Mikael whispered.

"I'm here." he answered, kneeling next to the soldier.

"Was I... was I helpful? Did I... help Humanity? Or... was it all for nothing?"

Levi took his hand and shouted.

"We have accomplished a lot today and tomorrow because of you. Your strength won't die with you, the torch will be carried on, by me! This I swear, on my very life, that the titans will be eradicated!"

The silence was heartbreaking. Levi turned his head towards Petra and I.

"Sir..." Petra cried. "I'm sorry but he is...gone."

I let a tear escape before wiping it out quickly.

"Do you think he heard anything I've said?" Levi asked.

"Yes, all of it." I replied. "Look at his face. You can see that he is at peace now."

We all looked at Mikael. His features were relaxed, he almost had a small smile on his lips. He was member of my squad. We weren't too close but he was still a friend. He would be missed.

Commander Erwin arrived.

"Levi, gather your squad, we are returning to the city. This is the end of this operation."

Levi got up, mad.

"What are you saying? We can cover more ground. Did my man had to die for nothing?"

"Something is happening, many titans are heading for Trost."  Erwin responded. "I am afraid that the same scenario that happened 5 years ago is repeating. Wall Rose may have fallen."

We all gasped, shocked. We quickly got on our horses and headed as fast as we could towards Trost.

We could see the wall getting closer and closer. There were no titans outside which meant they were already in the city. There was a huge whole where the gate was supposed to be. We left our horses and used our 3DMG to climb on top of the wall.

We saw the chaos, fire and blood that was now Trost. Suddenly, we heard a huge scream followed my a gigantic noise, coming from the gate. A titan just blocked the hole with a huge rock. What was going on?