𝗦𝗜𝗫𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡 - 𝗝𝗼𝗯𝘀

March 1, 1982

Over the last week, Elly's life had consisted of moping around the house. Doing school felt like a drag. Even though all she did was sports and band.

It didn't make any sense in her head considering she hadn't know Matt very long.

Elly always smiled, one thing that genuinely seemed to make people enjoy her presence. As her health teacher said, she was the exact opposite of an "energy vampire." She was even making herself sick with not being happy. So, she decided to do something since Billie's 'therapy,' wasn't working. She got a job.

Elly's POV

I woke up in a decent mood. Soon basketball practices would be started, and everything would be fine.

"Morning Dave." I said walking by.

"...morning.." he said obviously confused. I grabbed the lucky charms and started getting food. I looked and noticed there was a new message on the receiver. I clicked the play button and listened.

"......hey." Sounded a few seconds after the beep. I widened my eyes when the voice clicked. "I just-"

The machine turned off after Dave ran to shut it off. "No. You are not listening to that. Maybe at the end of the day." He said. "You're in a good mood today. Let's not ruin this." He said giving a tiny pep talk.

"Okay. You're right." I said smiling kind of startled how quick he reacted. He nodded and went back to his toast. I stood there for a moment and went back to my cereal.

"You got any plans for today?" He asked.

"Yeah. I got to go to work at 10." I said. He looked at me very strangely.

"Work? You?" He said.

"I've had a job before. Almost a year." I said. "And it wasn't my fault." I said noticing his obvious knowing look.

"It wasn't your fault? You put laxatives in the drinks." He said.

"They were my drinks! It's their fault for taking them." I said.

"Still." Dave said. "Anyways, does Kurt know?"

"Not yet." I said.

"You need to tell people when you get jobs kid." He said.

"It'll be fine. It's just a burger joint.....

It actually wasn't bad. I had dish duty most of the day. I can't complain. Kurt was very caught off guard by the whole job thing. He was fine with it though. It was roughly 5 o'clock and the boys were out doing god knows what. I heard something about bars, I just choose to imagine they're going to a carnival or something.

I bough some oven pizzas since Billie was gonna be staying with me tonight. I was in the kitchen while she stayed in the living room. I just finished putting the pizzas in the oven when I looked at the phone. It was so tempting. I went over to it and hit play.

"......hey.....I just, I don't know. I'm in Tulsa right now. I called because I wanted to apologize." He said pausing. "I was rude to you. I hope you could call me back, or write me a letter or something. I wanna talk. And I know Russ told you to ignore me the first few times so I get it." He said. "I hope I'll talk to you sometime. Bye." The click sounded meaning the message was over.

"Don't do it." Billie said nearly making me scream.

"I'm not gonna." I said turning around. "I'll give it a week or so."

"You better. Make sure his sorry as* knows what he let go." She said.

"Language." I said.

"What are you, my mom?" She said.

"No, but I'm doin your mom." I said. There was an offended slap from her.

"Wait." I said in a sudden shock at 10 p.m.

"What's wrong?" Billie said sitting up alarmed.

"It's April fools. What if Matt called just because it was the first..." I said.

"No, honey, it's March." Billie said.

"Oh jeez." I said embarrassed. "I need sleep." I said laying back down.

March 2nd, 1982

Billie was still sleeping (at 12 p.m.), so I decided to do something. I got up to go call Matt when a realization hit me. I don't have his new number.

If he's in Tulsa I can't call his home number. I can barely have the guts to call him, let alone his family. I had a panic moment and I realized I would just write him a letter. That's one address I actually have.

I sat down at my desk with a piece of paper and stared at it for a moment. I picked up the pen.

Dear Matt,

That's all I got. I sat for a moment trying to figure out what to say. Should I be causal? Should I be sentimental? I don't know. I put the pen down and realized something. Kurt keeps all his letters from his girlfriend(s) under his bed.

I went to his room not shocked to see him still asleep. I crept down sliding the shoe box out of under the bed. It might've been wrong, but oh well. I grabbed one from a girl I only remember being around a month or so. I looked at it in hopes of finding inspiration.

Nothing helped. I think dating Johnny Depp would be less confusing than this. I just calmed down and wrote what I felt like.

I'll be honest I have no clue if this will be of any sense. I don't know what's happening completely. I wish it didn't end like that. I know we should talk, but I'm not sure. Although by the time you get this, I might've changed my mind. I really do like you Matt, but what you said was blatantly rude. Aside from that, I know you most likely didn't mean it. I hope everything goes well for you in Tulsa.

-Sincerely,
Elly Cobain

(p.s, I don't know your Tulsa number)

I looked at the letter a few times deciding what to do. I put it in a envelope, but I wasn't gonna mail it yet. I couldn't mail it yet. Maybe in a few days. But until then, I was gonna focus on other things than Mr. Matt Dillon. Since I'm homeschooled now, I need to start the agenda. I need to get stuff done since Billies helping and Kurt's supposed to be teaching me.