Anniversary

(Modern Day, They're Not Spies)

Owen couldn't believe it. He could not believe that Curt wasn't going to be there for their fifth anniversary.
     A few weeks prior, Curt had gone to see his mother and Owen had been unable to join him because of work. He loved his job, but he resented it heavily at that point.
     Curt had intended to fly back three days before their anniversary, but then the snow started. It had been totally unanticipated. Owen had had no idea that it was coming, then he woke up one morning to the sound of hail stones attacking his window. When he had looked outside, there had been no differentiating between pavements, cars and benches. It had all been totally white.
     The first thing he had done was call Curt. Curt had reassured him that the snow would be gone by the time he needed to be back.
     Yet there Owen sat on the morning of their anniversary, staring past an aloe vera plant and out onto the streets of New York, which still looked like they had been painted over with white. A few small glimpses of colour could be seen in cars or buildings, but they were scarce.
     Owen was absentmindedly biting his fingernail when his phone started to ring.
     "Hello?"
     "Curt, hi. How's the snow over there?"
     "I'm out in it. And I am freezing."
     "I'm really not surprised."
     "Yeah. It's still pretty bad."
     Owen sighed, continuing to stare out of the window. "Guess I won't be seeing you then."
     "Don't worry. We can celebrate as soon as I'm back."
     "I suppose you're right."
     "Did you just admit that I'm right?"
     A small smile played on Owen's lips. "Don't get used to it, love."
     "I've gotta go, reception's awful. But I'll see you as soon as I can."
     "Okay."
     "I love you."
     "Love you too."
     Owen flopped down on the sofa, deflated. He had really hoped the snow would clear in time. But, instead, he was doomed to spend his and Curt's anniversary alone.

When the evening came, Owen felt even worse. That should have been the point where he sat draped over the arm of the sofa in the living room, the smell of Curt's bolognese encircling him. Instead, he had made the idiotic decision to go for a walk. When there was a weather warning and two and a half feet of snow. Curt often joked about how he needed Owen to stop him from making stupid decisions, but the truth was that it worked both ways.
     Owen, despite the layers he was wearing, was still shivering violently, convinced he might turn into an ice cube at any moment. And, eventually, he decided it would be a good idea to get back home and wallow in his self pity by a radiator.
     The second he stepped inside he could feel the warmth against his face. He took the elevator up to his and Curt's apartment, having no desire to do any more walking after he had accidentally stayed out for three hours. He must have also accidentally left the front door unlocked, because that's how he was when he got to it.
     But he had no explanation for the apartment smelling of bolognese when he walked into it. He had even less of an explanation for the arms that were thrown around his neck almost as soon as he walked inside. He still wasn't entirely sure if the situation was real, but he certainly thought that it was Curt he was kissing.
     "Why exactly were you out in the snow? For three hours?"
     It took Owen a second to register Curt's words before he replied incredulously, "I think I'm the one who needs an explanation. How on earth are you here?"
     Curt grinned. "I did tell you not to worry, didn't I?"
    "I thought you meant it didn't matter if we were apart! Not that you were somehow getting back here through all of the snow!"
     "It was a struggle. I admit, I didn't think I was going to make it, but I got lucky."
     Owen laughed. "Oh my god, I love you."
     "I love you too."
     Owen quickly kissed Curt. "But I also love your bolognese. You'd better keep going with that."
     "It's just about ready, actually. You were out a long time."
     "Yeah, I got a little distracted. Didn't realise quite how cold I was."
     "Well, it gave me an opportunity to make dinner."
     "What exactly was your plan if I was here?"
     "Surprise you with just me and no bolognese. I'm glad you were out."
     Owen slid his arms around Curt's waist as he stirred the pot of pasta, then he kissed his cheek. "I would have loved it either way."

~

(A/N: In honour of it being exactly a year since I started writing oneshots)