Chapter 4: Instinct

Liana sees Clark walk in and hands him the new story and says, "Here

Liana sees Clark walk in and hands him the new story and says, "Here. 25-year-old Broker dies of a heart attack." Clark's confused and says, "How does a healthy 25-year-old suddenly die of a heart attack?" Liana says, "I don't know, but the coroner's report said the endorphin and adrenalin levels in his blood were sky-high. You know endorphins? They're hormones that are released when the body performs a certain activity." Clark says, "Like when you play a sport." Liana smiles and says, "Or there's another kind of activity two people share. Repetitive motion, builds to a climax." Clark looks at Liana with a small blush appearing at his cheeks and Liana softly laughs. Clark says, "But the police said they found the victim fully clothed." Liana says, "What?" Clark says, "And the ME says the hormone levels weren't only through the roof. They're higher than any normal human body can produce." Liana and Clark are where the Broker died, and Liana just finished speaking with a police officer. Liana walks to Clark and he says, "What did the police officer say?" Liana says, "They found evidence of a fire in the alley, but they suspect it's unrelated." Clark says, "So, an other words there was no reason for us to come down here." Liana says, "Common rookie mistake. The scorch marks are so much more important in this story, the police just don't think it has to do with anything. Maybe someone saw something." Liana walks to the officers and asks them a question and then she walks back over to Clark and says, "Well, this story just made it above the fold. Cops say a string of hormone-jacked stiffs turned up between Metropolis and Smallville. All males. Ask me, I think we have a meteor freak on a rampage." Clark says, "More like an alien." Liana looks at Clark confused and says, "What?" Clark says, "I used my x-ray vision on the scorch mark, and I saw an alien symbol." Liana says, "Is it Kryptonian?" Clark shakes his head and says, "No." Later, as Liana's leaving the Daily Planet, she waits for the elevator and finds Clark kissing a red-head woman and says, "Clark!" Clark pulls away from Maxima and looks at Liana. Liana softly says, "So, much for waiting for me." Liana walks away and Clark pushes Maxima off him and runs after Liana because he feels guilty for kissing her. Clark says, "Liana, wait!" Liana stops and looks at Clark and he continues to say, "This isn't what it looks like." Liana and says, "It's okay, you don't need me to hold you back for you to move on from me." Clark says, "Liana, she's the alien who killed those men." Liana nods and says, "And you decided to make out with her in the elevator?" Clark sighs and says, "No, she thinks I'm her mate." Liana says, "Yeah, because you're the only one on this planet who can take her killer kiss. I wouldn't be surprised if she's not the only alien out there who is also your mate." Clark sighs with a frown and softly says, "Liana..." Liana shakes her head and walks away from Clark. Clark watches her walk away with a heavy heart. Liana gets into her car and sighs. Liana says, "I don't know why I'm so upset, I'm the one who broke up with Clark." Liana starts her car and looks up to see Maxima looking very angry at her. Maxima grabs her car and throws it across the alley. Liana groans and freezes the glass window to break out. Liana crawls out of the car to see Maxima and she says, "I couldn't kill you in front of him. But now that you're alone, I'll make sure you never take him away." Liana says, "Look, if you want him go head. I'm not gonna stop you." Maxima says, "You have deep connection to him. I felt it. He would never have been able to pull away from me if he wasn't drawn by his attraction to you." Liana sighs and says, "We dated on and off, I know he still loves me, and I still love him, but I broke up with him for a reason." Maxima says, "I finally found the man that I've wanted all my life and you can't have him." As Maxima goes to kill Liana and a swat team says, "Freeze!" Liana ducks for cover and watches Maxima take down the swat team. Maxima angrily walks to Liana and then she is gone in a split second thanks to Clark. Liana sighs and goes to the hospital to get her head checked out.

The next day, Liana walks up the stairs of the loft in the Kent farm to see Clark

The next day, Liana walks up the stairs of the loft in the Kent farm to see Clark. Liana clears her throat and Clark looks at her and says, "Hey. Liana, what are you doing here?" Liana says, "Metropolis PD says that as far as they know Maxima has vanished off the face of the Earth." Clark says, "I'm afraid this may not be the last we've seen of her." Liana nods and Clark says, "Thanks for showing up when you did. I guess you could say you saved my life." Liana softly smiles and Clark continues to say, "She told me when she was a little girl that she's been waiting a long time to meet me. She said I was her soulmate and that we're destined to be together." Liana sighs and says, "It's not written in the stars, you write your own destiny." Clark nods and says, "I told her my destiny was here." Liana softly smiles and Clark continues to say, "What did Maxima say to you?" Liana softly says, "Nothing that I don't already know. Clark, I'm sorry about last night." Clark softly says, "It's okay, if I was in your position I would be upset too." Liana says, "I shouldn't have been upset though." Clark says, "You were upset because of me. When I said I'll wait for you, I meant it." Liana softly smiles and Clark softly smiles back at her.