Playing Tag

Okay. Put y'alls seatbelts on.

- Les ❤️

Elsia

10:46 pm.

Friday night has had its spectacular in this world.

A night of action, of adventure, a night of letting go of everything that you had to sustain for four days.

It's never been that definition for someone like myself.

Friday night has been the night that was supposed to be.

The night that a high schooler like myself was supposed to be out doing drugs at somebody's house for some ungodly reason.

The night that I would reluctantly follow my friends into a car and go wherever the wind took me.

Instead, on the supposed to be Friday nights, I've spent them sitting in my room. Reading a book, the Bible, A Wrinkle In Time, Anne of Green Gables.

Yesterday, something new awoke in my veins.

A sense of want, a sense of who I am.

What I stand for.

Because truly, it hasn't been for much. I've always done everything my parents have wanted me to do.

I've always been the girl too scared to be curious, when in reality I've been the girl too curious to be scared.

Always being the most responsible older sister, going to prayer like it was in my blood- routine. Not Love but routine.

Do I really know God? Or have I only ever been religious?

Now I don't know.

"Els, there's peanut butter cookies left in the kitchen. Should I bring a couple up?" Jacky stands at my door, a pep in her step like always.

Her brown hair long, a mature stance, and honey brown eyes. That's my sister. Sometimes it feels as though she's the older one. It's not difficult for her to be fearless, to be more of herself every day. She should've been the oldest one. She would have known what to do, and tell me how to do it. Perhaps I wouldn't be here in this crucial yet solemn moment if she was.

"No thanks," I give her a smile, trying not to appear forced, trying not to appear too elated.

"But," Jacky chuckles, "It's your favorite."

I don't even like peanut butter.

"I know, ever since sixth grade when you made me those... delicious peanut butter sandwiches. I just ate, though."

She nods slowly, "Alright. Goodnight then?"

I nod quickly, "Sweet dreams."

Jacky closes the door behind her, something I taught her to do, and I'm left to ponder.

"Too much Elsia, too much. The story of when you first told her you loved peanut butter? Seriously?" I sigh.

My eyes dart to the sky... and then the dark green hiking backpack in the far corner.

The sky, the backpack, the sky, the backpack, the sky-

My closet.

It's time to go.

* * *

My breath stifles as I try my best to be as quiet as possible whilst zipping up my book bag.