Chapter 3- Reunited On Deck

Start from the beginning

After that, they did not stand next to one another. It may have been an odd situation, however, it may have been too soon to assume some sense of normality. James wasn't sure he was ready. Instead, he stayed beside Edmund. That, for the time being, was where he was most comfortable. His eyes still never left Caspian's. He couldn't tear them away just yet.

It was a tension, a sort of need, a longing to be close, to understand. James needed to understand. He needed Caspian, and there he was.

"Didn't you call for us?" Lucy asked, attempting to break the silence. The crew were watching them, James could feel it.

"No." Caspian shook his head. "Not this time."

Timidly, the blonde asked. "But you want us here?"

"Of course I do." Caspian replied without a moments thought. It was if he had waited a lifetime to say those words. Then, softer, he spoke once again. "Of course I do."

"Well, whatever the case, I'm just glad to be here." Edmund chatted, buoyantly, his happiness refusing to shrink; the opposite of what was happening to James. Visibly, he was trying to hide himself beneath the towel. "We all are."

Then there were screams. Boyish, stupid, screams.

They looked over to see Eustace flopping around on the deck like a wet fish. It was sort of hilarious as the thing the was screaming about was an armoured mouse perched on his chest.

"Don't touch me! Get that thing off me!" Eustace pushed the mouse, and it rolled on the wooden planks, before scuttling to the feet of the Kings and Queen.

"Reepicheep!" Lucy exclaimed, glad to see the animal.

"Oh." The fair furred mouse readjusted his sword to seem more presentable. "Your Majesties." He bowed. Nothing had changed with him, that was for sure.

"Hello, Reep." Greeted Edmund. "What a pleasure."

"The pleasure is all mine sir."

"You look quite fine." James smiled, knowing the compliment was due. Reepicheep had always been a smart creature, both mentally and physically.

"Oh, your Highness, you flatter me... but, may I ask, what to do about this... this... hysterical interloper?"

They turned to see Eustace coughing on deck, hunched over like some sort of beast. "That giant rat thing just tried to claw my face off!"

"I was merely trying to expel the water from your lungs, sir." Reasoned Reep, as best he could. It wasn't as if Eustace Scrubb was going to listen to them.

In shock, he breathed. "It talked! Did you see... anyone just hear that? It... it just talked!"

James cringed at the way he would speak about someone so kind to the royals. It was unfair. "He always talks." Said one of the members of the crew.

"Actually," interjected Caspian, pushing back some of his sopping black hair. "It's getting him to shut up that's the trick."

The mouse laughed with a sense of glee. "The moment there is nothing to be said, Your Highness, I promise you I will not say it."

Contently smiling, James knew this was where he was supposed to be. There was beauty all around him, so large as the ocean blue, and so small as to the carvings in the wood made by the most skilled of craftsmen.

Then it was ruined, once again, by Eustace. "Look, I don't know what kind of prank this is, but i want to wake up right now!"

With a hopeful look, Reepicheep turned to the Kings and Queen. "Perhaps we could throw him back?"

Edmund weighed out his posibilities, staying silent. James cracked a smile as Lucy thwacked her brothers arm, with a scolding tone. "Edmund."

Eustace ran across the deck, completely frightened. It was interesting to see his reaction to such a beautiful place. When James first arrive in Narnia, he couldn't have been more in wonder of the place. "I demand to know! Just where in the blazes am I?"

It was a Minotaur that answered him. "You're on the Dawn Treader, the finest ship in Narnia's navy." At that, Eustace fainted, and they laughed at the predicament.

"Was it something I said?"

James ran forwards, feeling the need to do something. It felt as if he were back in his own body once again. "I apologise for him." As the blonde spoke to the minotaur, the humans smiled. They were seeing the person James had been before returning to England. It were as if he had come back to life. "In... in England, we do not have people like you. I'm afraid this is all a little bit of a shock to him."

Caspian walked from behind James, and rested a hand on his shoulder. "See you him, will you?" He requested.

"Your Majesty."

The Minotaur took Eustace by the feet as the two Kings stepped away. Caspian walked slightly faster than James, and made his way up to the stairs upon the deck. He knelt on one knee, taking a position, and spoke.

"Men, behold our castaways!" He used his arm to present the three soaking Pevensie's. "Edmund the Just, Lucy the Valiant, and" then Caspian paused a moment, his eyes wandering over to the elder blonde brother. The boy looked up, and his gaze met Caspian's. "the most wonderful James, the Arcane. High Kings and Queen of Narnia."

Everyone, at that, kneeled. Every one of them. James stepped back, flustered. It was so unexpected of a welcome, but something that made him so happy.

This was where he belonged. James knew it.

"There is one more thing." Caspian said to them, walking away. "If you'll just give me a moment."

Whilst the crew watched, curiously, James couldn't help but say what he did. "Just out of interest..." he mumbled to his younger brother. "How's my face?"

Edmund grinned widely, but before he could say anything, there was another reply. "As battered as it was last time."

James turned around, and saw a friend he had missed dearly. With a harder, older face and wavy black hair cut at his cheek, Harvey stood with open arms. James ran forward, without a thought, and hugged him. "I was so worried, we all were."

Pulling back from his friend, Harvey's head twisted slightly. "How long have I been gone?"

"Six months." At that, Edmund patted the Gallagher boys shoulder. He too was glad that the friend was back.

"You'll have time to chat later." Caspian said, looking to the sopping wet Pevensie's. "I think we should find a change of clothes, first. Don't you?"

• - - •
1770
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.