"I'd rather be anywhere but here." I mumble.

"Good thing it's time for you to get ready for school, then. Have a-"

I hang up the phone abruptly, drying my tears and staring out the window.

I try to look into Elsia's room but she's nowhere to be found.

There's a knock on my bedroom door, Meredith slowly turning the knob.

As soon as her gaze meets mine, she directs it back to her feet.

"Uhm, I packed you a lunch."

* * *

"How was school?"

I sit in the kitchen, a bowl of pasta staring back at me.

Is this girl's love language food or something?

"Okay," I mumble.

"Kelsey-"

"Don't. It's useless," I take a bite, staring at her. This time, she's staring back.

"Please," Her hand covers mine and I'm surprised at her cold touch. Meredith's eyes have bags under them, her lips are slightly parted, and her nose is bright red.

She looks as if she's been out in a cold December, though we stand in only September.

"Fine," I look away.

"I didn't know," She speaks quickly, as though she's waiting for me to change my mind at any moment, "I promise. There was a man, he seemed to have money. I... I dropped out of college last year because I couldn't- I couldn't afford it. Thought maybe he'd be the answer."

I stay silent for a moment, processing my thoughts.

"I slept with him, I know. I was starting to like him- love him even-"

I start to stand up, "That's enough-"

"- I would make him meals when he came to my apartment at three in the morning-"

"Stop-"

"He would help me apply for other schools- Art schools, cooking cuisine universities, psychology practices-"

"Shut up!" I screamed.

"No!" Meredith yelled back.

I started stepping back, as she started to step forward.

"I lost something too," Tears stain her cheeks, "Not nearly as much as what you lost but I'm not the villain Kelsey Louis- I'm not this monster the cops don't even bother hiding their gossips about."

She slides down the wall, "I'm not a one night stand."

Her tears are gallons but her cries are drops.

Drops of water you have to focus on to hear in a vast ocean.

They drip down until they become a storm, flooding the waters and elongating the sea front.

It seems as though she's forgotten I'm still here, and I look down at her curiously, as though she was a small animal at a petting zoo.

With one last look I fly up to my room, looking back only once.

* * *

A contrasting smell makes it way up to the second floor.

I wake up from my afternoon slumber, looking around my room.

Its sandy brown walls glow perfectly with the small pictures of cactuses and abstract paintings.

My feet drag themselves down the stairs, and I see Meredith surrounded by pots and pans. Her tongue hugs her upper lip as she mixes something together in a bowl.

"Hey," She finally looks up, "I'm making-"

The fire alarm goes off and she starts to violently shake a rag into the air.

"Truth is- I don't really know what I'm making." Meredith softly chuckles.

We spend the next half hour cleaning up the kitchen, while she insists on doing it herself.

Once everything's back to normal (as normal as it can get in this situation) she sits timidly on the corner of the couch.

I subconsciously start studying her again.

She sits in a tank top covered by an oversized tomato-sauce stained, gray sweater. Her hair is frizzy on top but stays perfectly straight till her waist. Her brown eyes radiate a sense of discomfort, though somehow stay soft and warm.

I slowly walk towards her, as she stares at a black TV screen.

"How do you like your eggs?"

~

Little bit of a different chapter for you guys

Vote if you enjoyed ! God Bless !

- Les ❤️