An Occurrence

Stanford sat on a brown leather couch, he looked down at a black, woollen mitten. It was Stanley's, one of the only things he had left of his brother, which he had lost 30 years ago now. Dipper and Mabel rushed down stairs and into the lounge, making the elder man jump. Ford let out a sigh of relief upon realising it was the twins.
"Great Uncle Ford, can we go play in the woods?" Dipper asked eagerly, placing an green  cap on his head with a star pasted on to the front, that was his lucky hat.
"We want to climb trees!" Mabel exclaimed excitedly.
"Okay, but be careful. Don't climb to high, meaning to where you can't get down. I have a severe fear of heights and I will not be able to get you down, also take that journal with you. Just in case." Ford sighed, placing the mitten into the inner pocket of his jacket. The young set of twins nodded and ran out the door, Dipper sliding the journal into his vest on the way.

Mabel was clambering up a small oak tree, as her twin brother sat under it reading the journal once again. The extended branches and leaves blocked out all the summer heat from the young boy, Mabel started laugh as she began to poke at a squirrels tail.
"You shouldn't do that Mabel, if it attacks you. Let's say, it'll leave a mark, plus you could get a serious infection." Dipper warned, Mabel blew a raspberry in response. She soon jumped down from the tree and accompanied Dipper under the shade of the tree, she took off her blue sweater and wrapped it round her waist.
"What cha' readin'?" Mabel asked, Dipper closed the book to show the cover, his finger keeping hold of his page. "Ah that creepy journal Ford gave us, ooo fairies!" Mabel pointed at a page about these tiny women. Dipper shut the boo and shooed away Mabel's finger, a growl admitted from around them. It didn't sound like one beast, it sounded like millions.
"Who's there?" Mabel exclaimed, pointing a stick out in front of her for defence. Suddenly a beast popped out the bushes, it was a campfire, but with legs? "Awe, it's cute!" Mabel gasped, Dipper grabbed her arm and started to drag her away.
"It's not cute Mabel, it's a monster!" Dipper screeched, but before they can get back on the trail 3 more of them appeared. The kids frantically turned around and tried to go the other way, but with no luck, they were surrounded.

Dipper and Mabel stood in the middle, circled by these tiny beats.
"Ford has to have something in his journal, here! Scampfires, these spider-like beats pose as campfires but spring to life when you get close. They like to eat campers, marshmallows and beans, but will feed on pretty much anything consumable. Can be doused with water, but will hiss." Dipper read, the creatures began to bark, growl and hiss, somewhat like a angry chihuahua. Mabel grunted as she threw a stick at a stack of them, they grew in size and morphed into one. "Mabel why did you do that?" Dipper yelled, "oh no..." he sighed as the giant came ramming into them. They squirmed and kicked about as the tiny minions began to hold them down, Mabel was lucky to squeeze out as she took a minute to breath. She sprang back into action grabbing a water bottle they had brought, to not overheat of course, and sprayed it over the creatures. The pack wailed and yelped as they descended into a pile of sticks and ash. Dipper took of his lucky hat, now turned to to a messed up jumble of fabric and string. Mabel helped the poor boy up and headed back home.

They arrived back at the shack to see their Grunkle Ford, which was a word Mabel came up with, writing in what seemed to be a document, he quickly shut it over after being notified to the twins presence.
"What happened to you kids? Are you okay?" Ford worried, inspecting Mabel's wounds.
"We got attacked by scampfires..." Dipper sighed, "but you were right about the journal. It did help us defeat them." The boy said, a bit of glee pultruding through his sober voice. Ford chuckled as he got up to get the first aid kit, he returned the twins now sitting at the table next to each other.

Gravity Falls is quite strange, at least they know their Great Uncle Ford isn't keeping any secrets, isn't he?