Part 9: "Missing Pieces"

Start from the beginning

"What is it?" Anahita asked, crossing the kitchen to join him.

Damaris just stared numbly at the plain ice-block. "It was right here!" He wailed. "How is it gone already? Who could have taken it?"

Anahita stood on tiptoe, but she couldn't see all the way to the bottom of the container. "Did it melt?" she guessed.

Damaris gave her a concerned frown. "It's ice, Ana--how could it melt chocolate?"

The young girl shrugged. "I was just trying to come up with the likeliest option."

Damaris threw himself to the ground next to the icebox. "What am I going to do?" He wailed. "The party is tomorrow, and there's nothing on top of my cake!"

Anahita came to sit next to him, her knees curling against him. "I think it's beautiful just the way it is," she whispered into his ear. "I say it doesn't need anything more."

Damaris rolled his eyes. "You really think so?"

Ana smiled. "Yes I do! You've done an amazing job getting everything ready for the party while also not neglecting your daily cooking duties. You deserve a fun treat!" She rummaged in the pantry and brought out a small jar of hard, round kernels. "How about some popcorn?"

Damaris grinned. "That sounds great... except..." He winced, feeling his hopes dash once again.

Anahita frowned. "What, did you use all the butter in that frosting?"

Damaris flicked his fingers, and sparks flew once more. "Not that, but... I can't find my cast-iron pan."

Ana squinted at him. Damaris was always so protective of that treasured item, it was impossible to conceive that he might not know where it is. "But how?" She asked. "Are you sure you haven't--"

Damaris rolled to his feet. "I know exactly where I left it last!" He snapped. "It hasn't left the kitchen, I'm sure of it!"

"What's so-- Oh! That's beautiful!"

Now Anahita jumped to her feet as Queen Azelie herself graced the kitchen stairs with her presence.

The lanterns made her red hair gleam with a sun-like glow as she admired the grand cake. "Damaris, you've really outdone yourself!" she declared approvingly.

Damaris gave a light bow, smoothing his unruly hair with his fingers. "Ah, do you think she'll like it?"

Azelie was no longer looking at him. She frowned as she took a few paces to the side, and then she blinked, as if it had been no more than a brief stagger. "Oh, hm? I mean, yes, the cake is absolutely perfect for the party."

Anahita shuffled nervously, but Damaris watched the young queen carefully. He stepped forward. "Is something wrong, your Highness?"

Azelie finally met his gaze and smiled. "Oh, no, it's probably nothing--just a voice I keep hearing..." She trailed off and gestured to her head. "My Gift, you know; anyway, it's probably just stress, with the party tomorrow and those strange goings-on in the garden--"

"What's happening in the garden?" Anahita asked.

Azelie fell silent, her gaze relaxed and aimless, focusing on nothing in front of her. She gave a small sniff, straightened and said, "I think I'm going to find Beren." She turned back to ascend the steps back into the main part of the castle.

Anahita dashed forward. "I'll go with you, Your Majesty!" she offered. Just before the door closed, Damaris heard her asking, "Have you seen Princess Zayra today?"